Can someone tell my this is better?...

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ContractedHack

Can someone tell my this is better?...

Post by ContractedHack »

I just tried Crimson Editor. As far as I can tell after a few days of playing with CE, it's is WAY better than TextPad. Can someone tell me why I would choose the $27 TextPad over the free CE? What am I missing?
Drxenos

Re: Can someone tell my this is better?...

Post by Drxenos »

ContractedHack wrote:I just tried Crimson Editor. As far as I can tell after a few days of playing with CE, it's is WAY better than TextPad. Can someone tell me why I would choose the $27 TextPad over the free CE? What am I missing?

There are probably less subtle ways to advertise your product.
ContractedHack

Re: Can someone tell my this is better?...

Post by ContractedHack »

Drxenos wrote:
ContractedHack wrote:I just tried Crimson Editor. As far as I can tell after a few days of playing with CE, it's is WAY better than TextPad. Can someone tell me why I would choose the $27 TextPad over the free CE? What am I missing?

There are probably less subtle ways to advertise your product.
I suppose I was too subtle. I -did not- develop Crimson Edit. Visit the site and you'll see that. I've used both TP and CE. The post actually asks if anyone can say why my opinion "CE is much better then TP" should be reconsidered.
MindSports

Post by MindSports »

Well, for one, Crimson Editor is excruciatingly slow when used via Remote Desktop Connection (Terminal Server).

Then there are a few functional limitations, published on the Crimson site: it's not suitable to edit large files (>64K lines) or files with long lines (>4K chars).
There are some nice features in TP that CE lacks, like customisation of keyboard shortcuts or having clip libraries.

Having said that, I agree that Crimson Editor is a very capable editor if the limitations don't bother you. And you can't beat the price.

What I'm curious about though, is why you call CE "WAY better" than TP? What is TP missing that CE offers?
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Apart from the above, any "programmer" who used TP would never choose CE as the editor of choice... CE shares many of the annoyances I find in UE,...

= Search box disappearing..
= CANNOT delete garbage in search box from years ago...
= CANNOT extend selection when searching...
= CANNOT search multiple documents...
= CANNOT use editor while search box is open..
= NO wrap searches...
= NO mark found lines...
= Cursor remains an I bar on selecting text...
= You CANNOT pull selected text around the document, everything must be copied...
= You CANNOT right clik on selected text and move/copy to another location....
= You CANNOT pull selected text to a document tab and have that document come to front for inserting the text...
= NO clip library

Pause here .. I could be at this all day... basically you CANNOT do a hell of a lot of things... yu get what you pay for i suppose.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY theres no WORKSPACE option in CE...

Thats where the BIGGEST deficiency lies.

All of the above and more are required in a production environment for efficiency and speed in executing tasks...

In all fairness .. they seemed to get their current line highlite down to a science, best I seen yet... TP could learn from that :wink:
Can someone tell me why I would choose the $27 TextPad over the free CE? What am I missing?
I spent $27 so that I could spend less time executing tasks with less annoyance ... maybe you would for the same reason if you have to pay yourself and every second counts.
ContractedHack

Exactly what I was looking for

Post by ContractedHack »

Thanks for the replies guys. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Perhaps TP would be the better choice.