4.7 cannot read text files on CD

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kalman

Viewing files on CD drives

Post by kalman »

Visual C++ Runtime Library

Viewers\textpad\textpad.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate.

If I copy the text document to the computer their is no error

This occurs on my CDRom drive, CDRW drive & my DVDRom drive.
XP Pro with SP1 & Bluetooth Support
Norton Anti-Virus 2003 / no virus or spyware on my system
Microsoft .net installed and also all current Microsoft Windows XP updates
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The common factor in this issue is still proving elusive, so it's time for a stab in the dark. We've rebuilt TextPad 4.7.0 with all compiler optimizations disabled. This makes it bigger and slower, but is worth a try. If you are experiencing this problem, please download the following file:

http://www.textpad.com/download/beta/txp470unopt.zip

That zip file only contains TextPad.exe, so please install it as follows:

1. Open My Computer and browse to your TextPad installation folder.
2. Right click TextPad.exe and choose Copy.
3. Right click again and choose Paste, creating "Copy of TextPad.exe".
4. Extract TextPad.exe from txp470unopt.zip into your installation folder.
5. Double click TextPad.exe to start it.
6. From the Help menu, choose About and check the version is "TextPad 4.7.0 (unoptimized)".
7. Try to open a file on a read-only file system.

Please let us know if it makes any difference.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
OrbMan

Post by OrbMan »

It doesn't work for me. Same results.
joshrodman

Post by joshrodman »

Well, XP/2000 are the same operating system with GUI improvements. There is a very small code difference between the two, as opposed to the large difference between 2000 and NT 4.

I'll have to return to 4.7.0 and make sure I have the bug, but I plan to test the unoptimized copy when I get the bug again.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Thanks for the quick response, even though it was negative.

Another shot in the dark: does this only happen on PCs with Bluetooth hardware support?

Keith MacDonald
kalman

Unoptimized patch

Post by kalman »

I tried your unoptimized patch and it did not make any difference.
A couple of things I only have this issue when I'm trying to read from a CD.
Any other removable media Like memory stick , Zip disk does not have the problem. Wether the the file is read only or the media is locked.
kanniballl

Post by kanniballl »

bbadmin wrote:Thanks for the quick response, even though it was negative.

Another shot in the dark: does this only happen on PCs with Bluetooth hardware support?

Keith MacDonald
Nope. On both PC's I tested it on, neither have bluetooth.
Web1X

Post by Web1X »

I don't have bluetooth. Also have not installed .net and I'm using Trend's PC Cillin 2003. Tried with and without antivirus running, same results. I'm using TP on WinXP with all the security patches installed.

Something has *changed* in my TP's behaviour. I used to be able to open files on any Win2000 share, whether shared with full priviliges or not, and only Win9x shares that were shared with full access, but could not with Win9x shares that were read only. Now I cannot open files on any Win9x shares, even with full access.

I'll try the new build and let you know what I find.

Next week I'm putting together an identical system from scratch. I'll install TP first thing and see if I can figure out what's making it go wacky.
idf

Post by idf »

bbadmin wrote:http://www.textpad.com/download/beta/txp470unopt.zip
Please let us know if it makes any difference.

Keith MacDonald
Didn't help. But one thing seemed worse: File->Open of a file on CD now causes TextPad to freeze in the Open dialog. I thought that was new behavior in the unoptimized version, but reverted to original TextPad 4.7 and the same behavior is now present there too. I was sure that File->Open led to either the C run-time error or the Parameter is Incorrect message, as I never before I had to kill TextPad. But as of today, File->Open of a file on CD leads to a freeze and necessity of shutting down TextPad from Task Manager.

I don't have BlueTooth installed.
Web1X

Post by Web1X »

Like everyone else, the new build didn't make any difference for me either.
aeromatt

More interesting observations

Post by aeromatt »

I tried every method I know of that Textpad reads files from a CD. One interesting thing is that the same errors show up, regardless of how I try to read from a cd, except one. I was able to search for text in a file, from the "Find in Files" menu option. Of course, when I clicked on a line where it found the content, it was unable to open the file, coming up with the "Parameter is Incorrect" error dialog.

This is interesting, in that it is the only known way Textpad is successful reading any file content from a CD in my computer. It does not work for searching for differences using the "Compare Differences" file option. Is there a difference in how these two commands read from the CD?

These are just a couple more things I've observed in my search for the culprit here.
M T
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

my humble 3 cents, .. could this be a probem with the DDE?? and the way TP writes the app path in ALL CAPS -s? see my post here in reply to a problem i am having too with tws files

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2318#12318

I dont have a problem with reading on cd, win98SE here (with no plans of going anywhere near 2000, XP, thank u)
kalman

Cd issue

Post by kalman »

Keith:

Maybe its a service running that is causing this issue?

FYI:
Parameter is incorrect error occurs if textpad is already running! When trying to read items from a CD.

All other applications that can read txt files work without issue.

I also have textpad installed to a customer location.
C:\viewers\textpad
mo

Post by mo »

Based on the previous I tried to open a .txt file with TextPad closed by double clicking a .txt file in the Explore Open dialog (TP being the file type associated with .txt files). No go.

Note to Webmahasattha: I was very happy with a well-configured W98SE meself; but was having problems running out of memory with several applications streaming at once; I didn't want to get involved with the activation process, so I went with W2K Pro, figure it will do me til I see TextPad ported to Linux. I find it to be very stable and does not give me the memory problems I had with W98SE.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
test123

Post by test123 »

I installed 4.7 and had the same problem can't open file from CD (even using File->Open in textpad). The error dialog title actually says "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" plus the message "Runtime error: blah blah...contact..."

I uninstalled 4.7 and installed 4.6.2 and all problems are resolved regarding openning files from CD/DVD drive. So my conclusion is it has to do with the new visual studio 2003 run time library which 4.7 was compile with. It could be a bug in the new run time library or could be interface between library has changed. It happens. Why not use previous visual c++ to compile 4.7 and see if it solves the problem?