textpad hangs before opening a file with context menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

crassius

Post by crassius »

Just updated to 4.7 to see if the context menu would finally start working. No luck. The registry entries are correct, the shellext.dll is ver. 1.3, but textpad never opens and shutting down the "not responding" task also closes the current window of 'windows explorer'.

I'm on a win ME machine with nothing weird running (no AVs, desktop shells, or anything else I can think of)

'Send to' and 'open with' work OK, just no context menu success.
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

bartlett22183

Post by bartlett22183 »

webmasta has given some good instructions. However, I suggest reading the entire thread.
Paul Bartlett
bartlett@smart.net
crassius

Post by crassius »

Thanks for the pointer, but I've tried all that. Before moving to winME, I used to add shell cmds to the "*" and/or "unknown" file types, but in winME they now interfere with some of the other "open with" and "new" functions.

This seems to be something going wrong in the DDE process because it crashes out the whole "win explorer" window too, but I just don't have enough OS knowledge to be sure.
crassius

is this bug orphaned?

Post by crassius »

Has this bug been abandoned? It's not a show stopper, but it would be nice if a new shellext.dll could be written so that the right-click on the context menu didn't crash out the whole explorer program.