4.7 cannot read text files on CD

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

OrbMan

same here

Post by OrbMan »

I am also having problems, using XP. Will try to reproduce and send info...
Drxenos

Same as network problem

Post by Drxenos »

Because of this request for an exported reg file from people effected, I checked my system. I, too, have this problem. As I posted above, this problem also occurs when I try and read files from other people's accounts (where I have read access).

I am using Windows 2000 SP1.

I have sent my reg file.

Regards,

Rich
idf

will send this later tonight or over the weekend.

Post by idf »

helios wrote:Since we have been unable to reproduce this problem, it may be dependent on a particular configuration. Please will those of you that experience a problem opening files from a CD, send me a file of your settings, created as follows:
Thanks for purusing this. (Is this possibly a MSC run-time library version thing? Your version of XP Pro might come with different version of the RTL, which you might need to package with the 4.7 installer.)

idf.
OrbMan

mailed the file...

Post by OrbMan »

I was able to reproduce the problem and have emailed my .reg file.
helios

Post by helios »

It is not clear from the previous messages, whether anyone has tried using the File menu/Open method to open a file from a CD. If you haven't already done so, please try this method, and also try using the Quick Open dialog box, which is enabled from the keyboard by pressing Ctrl+Shift+O, and then specify the full path to the file.

Has anyone tried dragging and dropping a file into TextPad?

If you have configured UTF-8 as the Default file encoding for the particular document class that the files on the CD are a member of, then please change this to ANSI, and then try opening the file again.

Thanks for the cooperation of everyone involved.

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions.
kanniballl

Post by kanniballl »

I also have the problem. I am sending you the registry key.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!

While I normally get the "invalid parameter, I get a DIFFERENT ERRIR if I do SEND TO TEXTPAD. I get a runtime error as opposed to a parameter error.
mo

Post by mo »

I have just done the following with the following results:

1. Drag and drop: no go and freezes the dialog
2. Use File>Open: no go and freezes the dialog
3. Changed character encoding (and font) : no go
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Web1X

Post by Web1X »

IN TEXTPAD:
File, Open: "The parameter is incorrect" Click OK & TP is fine
Quick Open: "The parameter is incorrect" Click OK & TP is fine

IN EXPLORER WITH TP OPEN:
Drag to TP: "The parameter is incorrect" Click OK & TP is fine
Right Click, TextPad: "The parameter is incorrect" & TP locks up
Right Click, Open With, TextPad: "The parameter is incorrect" & TP locks up

IN EXPLORER WITH TP CLOSED:
Right Click, TextPad: "Runtime Error!" Click OK & TP closes
Right Click, Open With, TextPad: "Runtime Error!" Click OK & TP closes

File encoding is set to ANSI

Sending reg & screen shots
OrbMan

Post by OrbMan »

I get the same results as Web1X under XP Pro.

msvcrt.dll is v7.0.2600.1106
idf

Post by idf »

helios wrote:It is not clear from the previous messages, whether anyone has tried using the File menu/Open method to open a file from a CD. If you haven't already done so, please try this method, and also try using the Quick Open dialog box, which is enabled from the keyboard by pressing Ctrl+Shift+O, and then specify the full path to the file.

Has anyone tried dragging and dropping a file into TextPad?
Two sets of results:

1)
File/Open
Double-click
Quick Open
Drag-n-drop

All above lead to same result: Error box, title "Textpad", red X, message "The Parameter is incorrect." Textpad continues to run but the file is not opened.

2)
Context menu/Textpad
Context menu/Send to/Textpad

These two lead to Microsoft Visual C++ library run-time error abnormal termination message box appearing on top of Textpad window; after clicking OK, Textpad exits.
helios wrote:If you have configured UTF-8 as the Default file encoding for the particular document class that the files on the CD are a member of, then please change this to ANSI, and then try opening the file again.
I think someone else tried this, which is good because I don't really know what you are referring to here.

Problem occurs on a CD-R which is a copy of a standard data CD and also occurs on a standard data CD that came with a book. (That is, these are CDs that can be read in any CD-ROM drive, not just those with DirectCD drivers.)

I have forwarded my registry settings to you.

Since you cannot duplicate the condition, would you consider releasing a debug version that dumps somewhat more useful information in the error message boxes? For example, when you print "The parameter is incorrect," why not print what parameter you are referring to? (I realize the ability to print more information depends upon how the program is structured, from how many places the error might be issued and how the logic arrives at the point where the message gets printed.)

I'm not sure you can do much about the C++ RTL error, unless you put in logic to catch all traps (divide by zero, memory address violations, etc.).

But chances are these are both manifestations of the same problem, so if you can solve one you'll probably solve the other as well.

You probably already have a more complex debug version that dumps a trace to disk. Perhaps you could consider sending that to a volunteer who is experiencing the problem, if you cannot duplicate it in your lab. They could generate the log and mail it back to you for analysis.
helios

Post by helios »

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help narrow down the cause of this problem. I wish I could say it has helped, but we'll need to be able to reproduce the problem before we can fix it.

From all of the the Registry settings that have been sent in, there's nothing common about the configurations, so that would appear to be a dead end.

Is it obvious that TextPad is displaying "The parameter is incorrect", or could it be coming from Explorer?

Please try closing all other applications, and see if that makes any difference. If it does, then there may be a conflict with an application that is common to all.

If possible, can anyone who is experiencing this problem, try using a different computer?

Thanks again for any input you can offer.

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions.
kanniballl

CDR

Post by kanniballl »

This may sound like a stupid question, but what kind of CD drives is everyone having a problem with? CDR? or regular CD/DVD?

My PC has a CDR as the only drive. Maybe isn't realizing that it can't write to that folder or drive when it's doing its "thing." Maybe Textpad or Windows is trying to utilize that directory/drive in a write fashion, but can't.

Then again, I don't know. I'm just trying to throw out possibilities. I'd test textpad on a machine with a normal CD drive in it, but don't have access to one. It's been my experience that odd bugs in "select" machines are usually the result of some little oddity like that.

- Chris
OrbMan

Post by OrbMan »

helios wrote: Is it obvious that TextPad is displaying "The parameter is incorrect", or could it be coming from Explorer?
Definitely Textpad, as that is the modal popup's window title.
helios wrote: Please try closing all other applications, and see if that makes any difference. If it does, then there may be a conflict with an application that is common to all.
Closed everything else, that didn't help.
helios wrote: If possible, can anyone who is experiencing this problem, try using a different computer?
I am experiencing the problem on two totally different machines, one is a Dell/Intel running Windows 2000Pro, the other is an AMD clone running XP Pro. In one case it is a CD-RW, in the other a CD-R.
jpoling

Opening Files Using TEXTPAD 4.7.0 Notes

Post by jpoling »

Here are my notes on opening files when using TEXTPAD 4.7.0 with all types of drives:

Local Drive (C:)
File System NTFS
File Does Open

3½ Floppy (A:)
File System FAT
File Does Open

CD Drive (D:)
File System CDFS
File Does NOT Open - ERROR "The parameter is incorrect."

Mainframe UNIX (U:)
File System S390
File Does NOT Open - ERROR "The parameter is incorrect."

Novell NetWare (O:)
File System NWFS
File Does Open

TEXTPAD 4.7.0 is running on Windows XP Professional SP1.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Perhaps someone with the problem could set up a VPN or pcAnyWhere host type of connection with Helios so they can troubleshoot the problem directly? Just a thought, since they can't duplicate it, this could be the next best thing.