4.7 cannot read text files on CD

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

idf

4.7 cannot read text files on CD

Post by idf »

Thought I'd make this problem explicit. Details in the related thread:

http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4070

4.7 has to be patched or withdrawn immediately. It is not a working version.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Textpad 4.7.0 works very well on my machine - absolutely no problems...

On WinNT4 SP4, Win2K SP?, Win2K without SP...
idf

you can read text files on CD?

Post by idf »

MudGuard wrote:Textpad 4.7.0 works very well on my machine - absolutely no problems...

On WinNT4 SP4, Win2K SP?, Win2K without SP...
I can't read text files on CD through any means at all. Double click; left click then enter; right click/Textpad; right click/Send To/Textpad; tap toes and chant. Nothing works.

Now I notice something. Double-click yields "The parameter is incorrect." Right click/textpad or right click/sendto/textpad yield Micrsoft C++ run-time error, abnormal program termination.

The only solution is to copy the file to hard drive. Then all 3 methods of opening the file work correctly.

I've disabled and re-enabled context menu and sendto menu feature in Textpad's configuration, it doesn't fix the problem.
helios

Post by helios »

Regarding being unable to open files from a CD. Can these same files be opened in Notepad, and also could they be opened in previous versions of TextPad?

It could have something to do with the file system on the particular CD, so try opening files from some different CD's

One other possibility to try, is to temporarily disable your virus checker and see if that helps.

Stephen MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Is there a particular file type/class/size that does not work?
Are the CDs commercial, CD-R, CD-RW, ?

I have just tried reading from 4 CDs, two on local machine, two across mapped network shares.

Using 4.7, no problem reading files on these 4 CD units.
Drxenos

Re: you can read text files on CD?

Post by Drxenos »

I've been getting "parameter incorrect" trying to open read-only files on my network. Maybe there is a connection, as obviously, CD files are also read-only
idf

Post by idf »

helios wrote:Regarding being unable to open files from a CD. Can these same files be opened in Notepad, and also could they be opened in previous versions of TextPad?

It could have something to do with the file system on the particular CD, so try opening files from some different CD's

One other possibility to try, is to temporarily disable your virus checker and see if that helps.

Stephen MacDonald
Generally these are CD-Rs. I've tried a few different CDs. DirectCD driver is installed but these CDs are not running through DirectCD driver but are standard "finished" CDs readable in any CD-ROM device.

The files are readable wiit Textpad 4.5.

Notepad and Wordpad both work through "Open With" and "Sendto". Textpad fails with double-click, "open with", and "Sendto."

I disabled Norton auto-protect, made no difference.

If I copy the files to desktop, they open correctly though still read-only.
Web1X

I'm having the exact same problem!

Post by Web1X »

I am using TextPad 4.7.0 and am unable to open files on CD's, local and shared. Also cannot open files on workstations in which the share is set as read only. However I can open files on a Windows 2000 server which I only have read privileges, but other users have read and write privileges. I can also open local files that have the read only attribute set. All the files I cannot open with TextPad, I can open with NotePad, WordPad, and other apps.

I'm using Windows XP Home with the latest security updates. TextPad 4.7.0 works fine on my Windows 95 computer. Maybe it's a Windows XP thing.
Web1X

Post by Web1X »

Oh, and turning off AV made no difference.
idf

Re: I'm having the exact same problem!

Post by idf »

Web1X wrote:I'm using Windows XP Home with the latest security updates. TextPad 4.7.0 works fine on my Windows 95 computer. Maybe it's a Windows XP thing.
My system is Windows 2000, so this does not appear to be an XP issue. Of course, if you what you mean is this is an NT issue, that could be true. Windows 2000 and Windows XP are versions of NT.
mo

Post by mo »

Using W2K Sp3 I am also unable to open files (.txt or .htm using open with TextPad) from CDs in TextPad with 4.7.0

PS: CD recorded in Joliet file system

PPS: I just saved a .txt file to disk and made it read-only and was able to open it no problems.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
helios

Post by helios »

There is clearly an issue here, but the trouble is that we cannot reproduce it. On my XP Pro system, these commands on Explorer's context menu all open files from a CD-ROM: Open (for associated files); TextPad; Send To TextPad; Open With TextPad. Have those of you who are experiencing this problem been able to open files using the plain old Open File dialog box? If so, that indicates that something is wrong in the registry.

Try clearing all the shortcut options, on TextPad's General Settings and OK that. Then use Explorer to reset all file types associated with TextPad back to their defaults. Reboot, to get Explorer to release shellext.dll, then run TextPad and check all the shortcut options again. Does that help?

Stephen MacDonald
mo

Post by mo »

I just tried:

Opening in Windows Explorer: Open; TextPad; Send To TextPad; Open with TextPad and got the run-time error notice on all.

The second instruction in your above post is not clear as to whether these instructions apply only in the case of being able to open using one of these options or not (i.e., do it anyway).

OK I did it anyway. Now when I try to open a file on the CD from within TP I get the incorrect paramaters notice and it freezes the dialog. I can get out by clicking off TextPad. After restoring the context menu shortcuts I have the same problem.

mo
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
aeromatt

My CD issues - some observed quirks

Post by aeromatt »

:roll: I am having the same exact problems as everyone else here.

:? I have noted a few interesting quirks with this bug:

- the bug appears regardless of the file type you try to read from the CD
- the bug DOES NOT appear when trying to view a file on a DVD, even using the same drive that exibits the problem with a CD
- it exhibits the same symptoms, regardless of which drive I try to read from, even from an mounted CD image with NERO Imagedrive
- two different messages appear, depending on how you try to open the file (covered in a previous post)

:arrow: So far these are the most interesting observations on this bug. I hope it adds some light to the situation.
M T
helios

Post by helios »

Since we have been unable to reproduce this problem, it may be dependent on a particular configuration. Please will those of you that experience a problem opening files from a CD, send me a file of your settings, created as follows:

1) Exit from TextPad.
2) Run REGEDIT.EXE using the Run command on the Start menu.
3) Select the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 4.
4) From the Registry menu, choose the Export command
5) Export the selected key to a file.

Please zip the file before sending to: support@textpad.com

Stephen MacDonald