Syntax highlighting not being applied under WinXP

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jb63598

Syntax highlighting not being applied under WinXP

Post by jb63598 »

I have tried everything I can think of -- including the instructions posted in this forum -- to get syntax highlighting to apply automatically in TP 4.5 under WinXP. The settings all seem to be correct, but when an .html document is opened, it does not inherit the syntax highlighting until I enable it in the document's own Properties dialog. If closed and re-opened, the document again appears without syntax highlighting.

What could I be doing wrong?

JB

Post by Guest »

Hello folks... I could really use an answer to this, if anyone has any thoughts on the problem. Thanks.

JB
ndreon

I also can't get syntax highlighting on XP

Post by ndreon »

I'm using Textpad 4.7.0 on windows XP and I am having the same or a similar problem. I set up Java syntax checking but when I open a .java file I find that text.syn is being used for syntax checking, I can change it in the document properties but it reverts to text.syn the next time I open the document. I haven't hit on a way to make syntax checking work. I would appreciate help from anyone who knows how to fix this.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Did you check the list of files that belong to the document class?
Are there other document classes containing the same files (especially document classes with a name further down the list - as for reasons unknown to me a file is attempted to match document classes in reversed alphabetical order)?
ndreon

That was it.

Post by ndreon »

That was it. Thank you very much. The Text type had a * at the end of the file type list so it would match anything. This was on a fresh install (I deinstalled and deleted 4.6.2) so it might be the default or it might be a hold over from 4.6.2 which also did not give me highlighting. Anyway I deleted the * and now I see my Java syntax highlighting. Thanks.