TextPad 4.7 is released

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bbadmin
Site Admin

TextPad 4.7 is released

Post by bbadmin »

In case you didn't spot it in the Announcements forum, TextPad 4.7 has been released. The Release Notes can be read here:

http://www.textpad.com/support/relnotes.html

This is available as a free upgrade to all registered users of TextPad 4.x, so come and get it:

http://www.textpad.com/download/

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Last edited by bbadmin on Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
mo

Post by mo »

For what it's worth, my upgrade went smoothly. I like being able to paste html while still having word-wrap on.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Do users need admin rights to install updates?

I have users who have installed 4.6.2 but can't upgrade to 4.7 becuase they apparently need admin rights. Any way round this?

Cheers,

Steve
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Strange thing.
Upgrading at home: no problem - I can switch current line highlight on and off and can change colors for the dashed lines.

Upgrading at office: I can switch current line highlight on and off, but in
Configure-PReferences-Document Classes-Any Document Class- Colors
the entry for current line highlight is missing.

So I can use it, but only with the default color...

In both cases I had version 4.6.2 installed and I did NOT uninstall before I installed 4.7...
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

On Win2K/XP, a user needs to be a member of the Administrators or Power Users groups to be able to install software. This is an operating system, rather than a TextPad restriction. To obtain those privileges temporarily, right click the TextPad setup program (eg. txpeng470.exe) and choose the "Run As" command.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Even more mysterious:
terminating Textpad and restarting it again, I now do have the "Current line" entry...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

bbadmin wrote:On Win2K/XP, a user needs to be a member of the Administrators or Power Users groups to be able to install software. This is an operating system, rather than a TextPad restriction. To obtain those privileges temporarily, right click the TextPad setup program (eg. txpeng470.exe) and choose the "Run As" command.
Windows 2000 or XP would be nice :?

We are currently restricted to cutting-edge NT4 technology!

I thought that the restriction only applied to software installs that wrote to the 'global' areas of the registry.

What I will try is logging-in to the other machines to see if I can install with my admin rights.

Cheers,

Steve
zridling

Post by zridling »

Very nice upgrade. Thanks for the great work.
devdanke

TP 4.7 Fixes Big Unicode Problem

Post by devdanke »

Dear Helios,

Thank you for v4.7's improved ability to handle unicode files.

With prior TP versions, when I opened a file with unusual unicode character, TP would translate those characters into little black rectangles. This translation was not only cosmetic. It cause the loss of some of the unicode data, which made the file unintelligable to the application that originally created it, such as Word 2003. (One good thing about this situation is that TP did warn you of this problem when opening a file with unicode it couldn't handle.)

As a result, I had no choice but to start using another editor called EmEditor. While EmEditor is a very good program, it is not as feature rich or friendly as TextPad.

Recently when I tried out TP v4.7, I was thrilled to find that it does not alter the unicode characters it doesn't understand. It represents them as an assortment of ascii characters, but leaves the underlying unicode data intact.

Because of this v4.7 fix, I can once again use my favorite text editor, TextPad, for programming. This makes me happy because TextPad is a wonderful program that makes work a lot easier and more pleasant.

Thanks,
Dan