Color Text Highlighting

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Angryguy

Color Text Highlighting

Post by Angryguy »

In addition to just bookmarking lines, it would be useful to highlight/bookmark specific segments of text. This would make it easier when your trying to compare to segments of code, are searching for some specific text, or just want to mark off what part of the line you just changed - in case something goes wrong when debugging the code.

The feature can simply be an enhancement of the current bookmark feature, highlighting (ie: changing background color) from character column x to character y on a given line (and offsets accordingly when the line is edited). Once that's done, this could also be used within the search, replace, and compare file functions to aid in quickly locating the code your looking for.

Other useful additions could be expanding the search and/or replace functions to work across multiple files. The syntax highlighting feature also seems to have difficulties with recognizing commented lines. I don't expect all of these suggestions to be used, although it would be nice if at least some of these are available in an upcomming release.

Besides that, TextPad is an excellent program, and I've been using it for all of my CGI and PHP scripts lately - ever since my professor introduced it to me in Comp Sci.