Switch the viewing of a file between text and hexadecimal

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jonwinchester

Switch the viewing of a file between text and hexadecimal

Post by jonwinchester »

It would be very useful to be able to switch the viewing of a file between text and hexadecimal. This would allow you to drop a file onto TextPad and then switch to hex.
thwaitesj

Post by thwaitesj »

I agree.

Also a different format of hex display. Display line of text and underneath display hex values, vertically stacked. Much easier to read and match the hex with the text.

thwaitesj
Tyriel

Post by Tyriel »

This is important, and one of the only aspects of textpad that I don't consider really well designed. TP seems to automatically determine whether a file is ASCII or Binary and display in that mode, and never let you switch between the two. Goes against the whole "ease of use" philosophy that makes textpad such a great tool.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
-Steve Estes (Tyriel)
AIM: EnderW271
Email: destes[at]ix.netcom.com
zzappster

Post by zzappster »

I agree on this one.

I'm a Codewright and Textpad user. There are a few things that keep me from being a full-time Textpad user and this is one of them.
lawrenjs

Post by lawrenjs »

I too could really use this feature. I often edit files that are mostly text but also contain some binary data. Being able to switch modes would be great.

Thanks ... John
wolfgang_j

This feature will decide whether I will ever upgrade my lic!

Post by wolfgang_j »

This is of highest importance for me, too.
I'm a registered user of TP4 and I will only upgrade my licence to an ever upcoming version 5 if this feature is added. (But I would be very pleased if it could be integrated into a 4.x version already.)
jeffy

Post by jeffy »