split view control?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jimsturtz

split view control?

Post by jimsturtz »

i see i can create a split view of a single file. but i'm not sure what one would do with it as the 2 views are duplicates and i couldnt find a way to edit one w/o the other.

anyhow, i am looking for a way to compare/edit 2 files simultaneously, really looking for differences in code. i thought the split view was my salvation but i could never figure a way to put code1 in window1 and code2 in window2 in order to then scroll thru them comparing the 2.

is there a way?

thanks.
jim
Ed

Post by Ed »

What you need is ExamDiff Pro. It's an excellent program that does exactly what you want. It is modestly-priced shareware with (I think) a 30-day free trial. It is extremely stable (bug-free) and can be obtained from http://www.prestosoft.com/ps.asp?page=edp_examdiffpro I use it all the time in conjunction with TextPad.
And you're right "split-view" is not what you want. That's so you can look at one part of a file and edit another (well that's how I use it).
Good luck!
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

IF you really do not want to use ExamDiff (Freeware) or ExamDiff Pro (Shareware with very handy additional features),
select both files in document selector, right-click and choose "Tile horizontally".

No synchronous scrolling though...
jimsturtz

split view control?

Post by jimsturtz »

thanks for the hints.
jim
g00ber

CTRL-F9 Tools > Compare Files

Post by g00ber »

If you wanna compare files, press CTRL-F9 or Tools > Compare Files then type in both the filename.
No need for splitting windows.

Also try Visualdiff. Its free unlike ExamdiffPro