any plans for linux port?

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

JustinHoMi

any plans for linux port?

Post by JustinHoMi »

Hi. Are there any plans for a linux port of TextPad? It's the only app I really miss from windows! =(
contemptus

linux port

Post by contemptus »

it would be great to have TextPad on linux...but perhaps that would mean complete rewrite in Java.
biscuit

.NET

Post by biscuit »

I was in touch with the author of TextPad a while ago, and he mentioned the existence of a port to .NET (don't all shout at once!) for the next major version (5, I assume).

If that is the case and the new TextPad is a .NET product, in theory it could run on a Linux box running Mono (http://www.go-mono.com/).

I've not really used much .NET stuff, but the performance seems ok on Windows. Whether this Linux port is any good, I'm afraid I can't tell.
contemptus

porting

Post by contemptus »

I haven't yet tried, but I plan to use the windows emulator on linux to see how TP works...I remember I used Total Commander on linux (with the emulator), and it was so slooooooooooooooow(duron 950, 256ddram)
burmashave

Post by burmashave »

I've had pretty good luck getting TextPad to run on Wine. I did have some probs getting good fonts and making my document classes work properly. I was thinking about writing a guide for TextPad on Wine; however, I have done this over a long period of time, so I wouldn't be able to remember the fixes.

That said, I hope we will someday see a native Linux version of TextPad. I keep trying new editors as they come out -- Kate is nice, but none come close to TextPad.
cayerhart

Linux Textpad would be great

Post by cayerhart »

Just in case my vote counts for something, I'm all for a native Linux version of Textpad. I found a decent HTML editor named Quanta, but it wasn't nearly as easy to customize, so I miss Textpad when I'm working on my Linux box.
burmashave

I confess I am a traitor

Post by burmashave »

I feel like a traitor for saying this; however, if TextPad doesn't release a native Linux version soon, it will be left behind by Jedit. Perhaps the popularity and functionality of Jedit may make a Linux Textpad version unprofitable.

I have long been a dedicated TextPad user. Now, I feel like a traitor. ;-)