Selecting file in 'Find in files'

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

SteveH

Selecting file in 'Find in files'

Post by SteveH »

Is there a limit to the number of files that can be included in a Find in files dialog?

I've just tried to select 39 files in a group of software files and the In files list stays exactly the same each time.

Any hints :?:

How about a future version incorporating a checkbox to select all files in workspace

Cheers,

Steve
trids

Post by trids »

Not sure about the file limit in the [Find in Files] dialogue.

But regarding your suggestion ..
How about a future version incorporating a checkbox to select all files in workspace
.. there is an option on the [Find] dialogue, to look In all documents, which refers to all those currently open. Hope this helps?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

trids wrote:.. there is an option on the [Find] dialogue, to look In all documents, which refers to all those currently open. Hope this helps?
Not really - I did try that but what it doesn't do is show you just where the string is that you are looking for in all the files. As far as I know, you need to search through them all individually. Much better in my view to generate the list that one gets with Find in files

Cheers,

Steve
trids

Post by trids »

You're right, Steve .. best the in all adocuments option can give you is tagged lines, which doesn't help if you already have lines tagged!

I agree, a command results list of hyperlinked hits would be cool. I'd vote for this if you raised a poll in the [Enhancements] forum.

:idea: Meantime, you might be able to build your own solution:
Record a macro that copies the list of currently open filenames to clipboad (Edit>>CopyOther>>AllFileNames), and then saves that into a seprate (temporary) file; then pass this file to the grep utility which you can find mention of elsewhere in these forums; and capture the output of the grep utility into command results with hyperlinks.

Now if I could paste such a macro here, wouldn't that be useful? :wink:
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

trids wrote:I agree, a command results list of hyperlinked hits would be cool. I'd vote for this if you raised a poll in the [Enhancements] forum.
Is this not what you get with Find in Files?

Double-click on a result in the Search Results window and it takes you straight to the block of code and the correct line. My problem was that I couldn't seem to select all the files I wanted.

I have suggested that a workspace could be selected in Find in Files but being able to select all open files would also be very useful on occasion.

Cheers,

Steve