Automatic indenting type behavior issue

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

cglenn

Automatic indenting type behavior issue

Post by cglenn »

When using Textpad for data entry (not in block select mode), I enter a string of numbers for each survey. One survey had no response for the first field, so I entered a space, then finished the line.

When I hit hard return, I was not returned to column 1, but rather to column 2.

Obviously, I want to return to column 1 for the next survey, since that survey did have a response for the first question.

If I entered more leading blanks, when hard returning, it always lines up with the first number I entered, not column 1.

Why? This seems illogical, so I must have some setting wrong.

I could find no help on this topic (either the help file or FAQ), but maybe I don't know the correct key word.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Is the space really necessary?

If you just press Enter without the space, you will go directly to the next line at the same first column as the line above. If all your data entry starts in column 1, won't this work for you?
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
cglenn

Post by cglenn »

Yes, it is a necessary function. If the first response on a survey was left blank, then I leave that position blank in the data file.

I have a set of surveys coming next week, but they made a mistake and there are two versions of the survey. One version will have entries for columns 1-88, but the other version starts in column 10 and goes to 88.

If I don't pre-sort the surveys, then every time I enter the short version I will have to press tab (set to 9 spaces), but then the next line is a complete survey that starts in column 1. Now I have to press backspace 9 times!

The tabs example above is just like my first example with a blank in column 1. I have trouble understanding why this would be the default in the program. It is illogical, Bones.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I know this is not a solution, but at least a shortcut until you get your solution:
Instead of
Now I have to press backspace 9 times!
just press the Home key once.

I am sure someone else here will have a better answer for you.

Good luck..........
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
cglenn

Post by cglenn »

Sorry, that leaves 9 blank spaces at the end of the line. Not professional enough for me. Thanks for the suggestion, however.

It seems the only way to get to textpad support is via the bug report?

"It's not a bug, it's a feature!"
Ed

Post by Ed »

Confugure->preferences->Document classes

select your document type (based on the filename extension) or select Default to change all files
unselect "Maintain indentation"

(The reason for it is that programmers like to indent their work to have a visual indication for their level of nesting.)
cglenn

Post by cglenn »

Thank-you!

And I thought programmers used HTML editors :wink: