Large files open SLOWLY

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

anpham

Post by anpham »

I have your basic computer on WinXP and Textpad opened large files (500+mb) instantly. I've tried other editors and was not as lucky. You can even scroll through these large files with Textpad without it stalling. I've used UE on the same files and when I tried to scroll it would pause for quite some time to load the next set of lines. Textpad scrolled through the lines without breaking a sweat.
SLynch

Post by SLynch »

Wow, wish my TextPad worked like that. Is that a text file or some type of database? Mine chokes on anything larger than 5Mb and I don't have anything mentioned in the 'Known Problems' on my system.
Ceranith

Post by Ceranith »

I guess it's pretty important to find some other causes for slow loading. Mine seems normal, I opened an 800mb file instantly :?

Post by Guest »

Well, that's a lie. No program ever invented would open an 800Mb file instantaneously - your HD doesn't even seek and spin THAT fast. Ha!
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

:? All of this discussion about "files" and "sizes" and speed is apples and oranges and pineapples too!

:idea: Why don't you agree on a known read only test file of known format, size, fonts, margins, TextPad configuration settings, word wrap, etc? Then you can report your performance along with your system configurations: OS and version, HD type and free space, local or network or remote, defrag status, available ram, available system resources, Virtual Memory settings, TextPad version, etc.

Define a format for the system configurations that everyone can use to report their results. Provide a space for UE speed also but provide UE settings just like you provide TextPad settings.

Maybe define more than one file to test other variables like fonts, word wrap, etc.

Just a thought, but this discussion is just too subjective right now. :arrow:
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Ceranith

Post by Ceranith »

Guest wrote:Well, that's a lie. No program ever invented would open an 800Mb file instantaneously - your HD doesn't even seek and spin THAT fast. Ha!
True I see now. I should have realized that. My example doesn't count because I was opening an 800mb .bin file, and it appears to load instantly, but in fact I don't think it loads the entire thing (but the HD stops loading) and I think this is due to the way TextPad loads binary files. I compared it with a huge txt file, and that made the difference. It took a few seconds to load a 40mb file, it's not instantly for sure :P