Default new document template

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

wattage

Default new document template

Post by wattage »

Each time I open TextPad, I want to see a skeleton for an HTML page. How can I make this happen?

I want to be able to define the default document template...
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

There is a beginning blank page template in HTML Tags clipboard.
You can insert that into a blank page. Or you can open an existing page you want to use as a template.

Modify the page to your liking. Select All, and add it to a new User clipboard (MyHTML) under a new name (Blank Index, Blank Contact, Blank SiteMap, etc. (Make as many blank templates as you like.)

Then you can start TextPad with a blank page, go to the new "MyHTML" clipboard and insert the modified blank page(s) that you saved.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Raven

Post by Raven »

By modifying the registry according to MS instructions, I have associated a template file in winnt\shellnew with the folder->New right mouse click. However, when I click "PHP Template" (that's what I call the new document type), Textpad just opens with a new textpad .php document. I know I can do what is in this post but I should be able to open a new document with the template in shelllnew. Any suggestions?
CyberSlug

Post by CyberSlug »

Raven wrote:.... However, when I click "PHP Template" (that's what I call the new document type), Textpad just opens with a new textpad .php document. .... Any suggestions?
I know TweakUI for XP lets you do this easily. You create and save a template the way you want it--and with the appropriate file extension--then you go to TweakUI's template section and point it to that file. (You can delete the file afterward.)

I think the TweakUI for 9x/NT/2000 also allows this
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/ ... weakUI.asp

Important Notes: This process only seems to work when the file type is already registered (associated) AND when its context menu contains an entry named "Open"
(boy did I have a fun time wading thru the registry before I figured out that second requirement...)
Raven

Post by Raven »

I'll try that and yes I already have the Open and the New defined. It just seems that TextPad grabs control regardless.