Hang / crash on File Open

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

tosch

Hang / crash on File Open

Post by tosch »

Textpad hangs, and after a moment crashes, on File Open, whenever the active document is not in the same folder as the TWS. I have set my prefs to 'Working folder follows active document'. There is nothing wrong with any of those folders. I can edit files from there in the very same Workspace. With 'Working folder follows active document' unchecked this does not happen. But I strongly prefer this setting, and have been using it in Textpad for the last 20 years.

(vs 9.4.0 on W11)
AmigoJack

Re: Hang / crash on File Open

Post by AmigoJack »

tosch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:20 pmThere is nothing wrong with any of those folders.
YMMV. It could be some virtual folder (f.e. Google Drive), a network share, an unusual filesystem to begin with... You make it sound as if happens always - is that really so, or may your TWS folder just be often the same (or similar)? Have you tried reconstructing the same problem afresh, with a new TWS, in an absolutely different foder/drive? Could it be an antivirus software which interferes?

Similar topics (read all posts):
tosch

Post by tosch »

Toggling the 'Workspace follows active file' OFF and ON again seems to have "fixed" the issue.

Before posting here, I was indeed able to replicate the described behaviour, consistently, with different files, workspaces, folders and drive. I even tried reboot, just in case. After that I resigned to setting 'Workspace follows active file' to FALSE, so that I would not trigger a crash accidentally again and again. But I did not try switching it ON again and retry.

Only after reading your reply I switched 'Workspace follows active file' back ON, in order to produce a demo. And, voilà, Textpad behaves normally. One of those things I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I will keep an eye on it.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

I can't reproduce this. If it occurs again with the themed open file dialog box, try using the Windows standard one:

Configure › Preferences › File › Use the standard file open dialog box.

If that works, please let me know the directory stucture your files are in. Do they contain many files?
kevfrey

Post by kevfrey »

Thanks for providing the fall-back to the Windows/Standard dialog box - I also use a tool called Listary that allows me to jump to an active folder, but it works through hooking into the Explorer process (so the standard dialog box thing fixed my issue).

LONG time, and happy, TextPad customer.
tosch

Post by tosch »

Thanks. So far it has not happened again. Meanwhile I also switched back to 'Use the standard file open dialog box'.

The directories involved so far did not contain large numbers of files. Up to 100 perhaps.
Manole24

Post by Manole24 »

Can you tell me if it that happens again, because that happened to me and I got scared and my file got corrupted, I think I have the same issue like you, don't I?