textpad6 'forgets' old search and replace terms?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

samahita

Post by samahita »

textpad5 remembered earlier used search and replace terms in the scroll-down menu right of the terms windows. Now these are always empty after restarting textpad6. How to redo remembering old search and replace terms in textpad6 even after restarting?
Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka
http://What-Buddha-Said.net/
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

You're right; this seems to be a bug in version 6. Unless it's a "feature".
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

same here. TP6 on Win7ProfSP1
dvdvnr

Post by dvdvnr »

ak47wong wrote:You're right; this seems to be a bug in version 6. Unless it's a "feature".
I hope it's a bug and not a feature!

The problem also happens for the "In files" and "In folder" drop-down fields with the Ctrl-F5 "Find In Files" option. This one is extremely annoying as I like to permanently set this to "*.php *.js *.css" as those are the three main file types I am usually editing.

However, I can see that my settings can be found in the ConfigState.xml file even after TP is closed so I am hoping this really is a bug that will be fixed ASAP.

Ok, I've done some poking about and it seems that TP is adding in extra <element/> tags when it updates ConfigState.xml when it closes down - the dialog boxes then refuse to read further than one of these tags. E.g. I manually edited ConfigState.xml to say:

<value name="GrepFilter" type="collection">
<element>*.php *.css *.js</element>
<element>*.txt *.ini</element>
<element>*.cpp *.c *.cxx *.h *.hxx</element>
<element/>
</value>

This correctly showed all three options in the drop-down menu against "In files". Then I changed In files to read just "*.css" and, after closing TP down, that section became:

<value name="GrepFilter" type="collection">
<element/>
<element>*.css</element>
<element>*.php *.css *.js</element>
<element/>
<element/>
<element/>
<element/>
<element/>
<element/>
</value>

and only the first two options appear in "In files" after restarting TP (note that the indenting is stripped off by phpBB in the above XML).

Definitely a bug, I'd say! If it doesn't get fixed soon I will have to return to 5.4.2.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

You can retain indenting in phpBB by using [ code][/code] tags. But well done tracking down the bug for Helios!
dvdvnr

Post by dvdvnr »

ak47wong wrote:You can retain indenting in phpBB by using [ code][/code] tags. But well done tracking down the bug for Helios!
Thanks for that info!

Additional information: yesterday I reported these problems via the official TextPad bug reporting and Helios replied this morning with "Thanks for reporting this behaviour. We are working on a fix."
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

I like TP 6 but forgetting old search strings is a BIG "NoNo". Can we please have this feature corrected?
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
erikmaaloe

Agree, TextPad 6 needs to be corrected

Post by erikmaaloe »

I too find it very annoying that TP6 forgets old search strings when restarting.
I use old search/replace strings a lot and I have even thought about suggesting a user defined number of old strings to be included and not just the 10 in the former versions of TP. Ie. the possibility to have more than 10 strings saved.
Please correct this ASAP - and consider opening up for more than 10 saved search strings!
Regards,
Erik
dvdvnr

Re: Agree, TextPad 6 needs to be corrected

Post by dvdvnr »

erikmaaloe wrote:Ie. the possibility to have more than 10 strings saved.
Yes, and please extend that to the number of "In folder" strings in the Find in Files dialog box as well.
AncientLady

Post by AncientLady »

I was very disappointed at the memory loss when I upgraded (with a three seat license, no less).

Is there any indication that this is going to be fixed?

I just updated to the latest version (6.2.2) and it is still broken. :?
Cheers,
AncientLady
miked

Post by miked »

This was fixed in release 6.1
And it still works OK for me using 6.2.2
AncientLady

Post by AncientLady »

I did discover that. It didn't work until I rebooted the computer. Now it appears to work fine.
Cheers,
AncientLady
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

For users like myself who skipped updates, or reverted to earlier versions, the solution is a complete uninstall, a registry cleanup and a fresh install. I did this after my previous post above and the problem was resolved.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations