Spoke too soon. 7.2.0 wiped out my custom key bindings file.

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kengrubb

Spoke too soon. 7.2.0 wiped out my custom key bindings file.

Post by kengrubb »

I got an error message when TextPad came up yesterday. I believe the message was invalid key bindings file, but I cannot swear to it. The keyboard shortcuts were gone, and the .bnd file was gone. I searched the hard drive, and I couldn't find any backups or other copies of my .bnd file. I looked in the Recycle Bin for it, but I did not find it. Didn't find any new .dmp files.

The triggering event for this, I believe, was a new Macro I recorded. I created a better Version 2 of a Macro, and saved it under a new name with a 2 on the end of it. It didn't work right the first time, so I had to fiddle with it and try a few times before I got the Macro right. I kept overlaying the Version 2 Macro, and I think that was my downfall.

I have noticed that if I record and overlay a Macro that is on the Macro Menu, it will shift any custom keyboard shortcuts for any Macros listed after the overlaid Macro. For example, let's presume I have my Macros on the Menu in alphabetic order. We can presume this because it's true. If I record a Macro and save it overlaying my existing Fred Macro, which is on the Macro Menu, and I have keyboard shortcuts for my Nancy Macro, the keyboard shortcut for the Nancy Macro will move down one to the Neil Macro, the very next one in the Macro Menu. As such, I don't do this.

What I had been doing when creating a new Macro was this.
- Record the Macro
- Try the Scratch Macro
- If it doesn't work, then record it again
- Once I think I have it right, then save it
- If I then discover it still isn't right, I move it from Macros On Menu to Macros Available
- Record the Macro
- Try the Scratch Macro
- If it doesn't work, then record it again
- Once I think I have it right, then save it and overlay the existing Macro

This scheme had been working and did not adversely affect my custom key bindings. That no longer appears to be true. Saving and overlaying a Macro, even if it's not on the Macro Menu, seems to cause problems with the custom key bindings file.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

My key bindings file works, but if I update any shortcut, it will save and work for that instance. However, when I close and restart TextPad 7.2.0, I get the invalid key bindings file message.

I've been saving off my ConfigState.xml, GUIState.xml, and custom.bnd files, so I can recover. However, I'm now stuck and unable to update any shortcut without losing all my shortcuts.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I bit the bullet and rebuilt my .bnd file

I saved off the non-updateable .bnd file, if that could in any way assist.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
Cloink

Invalid keyboard bindings file

Post by Cloink »

This is happening to me too, too often. Mainly, I think, when I try and replace a standard shortcut with my own.

I thought it might be something to do with not having admin rights on my PC at my new place of work, so I used the 'Portable media wizard' to save my settings onto a USB, but it has happened this morning when I fired up TextPad too.

Helios please, please fix...
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I haven't experienced this since going to 7.4.0
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
Mister Mac

Not true: CUSTOM.BND file gets corrupted in 7.4, as well.

Post by Mister Mac »

kengrubb wrote:I haven't experienced this since going to 7.4.0
Unfortunately, the CUSTOM.BND file gets corrupted somehow in 7.4 also. Saving off a copy--while in TP, but right after the change--and restoring it before re-opening TP doesn't seem to fix the issue. Definitely a frustrating bug...