Textpad slow running applications over a network share

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Sudain

Textpad slow running applications over a network share

Post by Sudain »

I am running 160 XP SP1 clients running java programs off a W2k3 server over mapped network drives. They can compile the java application, but running it slows text pad down greatly and caps out the %cpu. The programs do finally run but not at a tolerable speed.

The programs can be run in dos over the network at the speed it takes textpad to run the application on the local machine,(same speed dos takes on the local machine)

I have searched the fourms and the solution that keep coming up is the 'when files are being modified by another process'. I have tried this and unfortinuetly it does not work. If it an anti-viral problem then this is a issue because with todays threats, removing anti-virus will not be an option.

We running version 4.7.2 currently and when I upgraded a test box to 4.7.3 I was able to repeat the results. The fix was also not listed inside the release notes.

I'm at wits end, any suggestions?
helios

Post by helios »

Please see the following two posts on our Forum. A work around is posted in the second link.

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3803

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3754

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
Sudain

trouble shot

Post by Sudain »

I think I'm closer to the real issue. Textpad is fine and so is our anti-virus. :shock: I know. In anycase I beleive text pad is slowing down becase it creates a .bat and then runs that on a remote server. I don't know exactly what is causing a the slowdown when accessing a .bat but I beleive that's what the problem is.

So my next question, is there a way to control where textpad drops those .bat files? Perhaps into a central location :wink:

I have a feeling the problem lies on a recent change now, but I'm hoping there is a workaround until the real trouble can be found and shot.

Thanks again,
Sudain
Sudain

Update

Post by Sudain »

To anyone else having/had this problem, rebooting the server fixed the problem for now, unknown what the real issue is.