Textpad stays in front when trying to switch applications

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Cyberjag

Textpad stays in front when trying to switch applications

Post by Cyberjag »

This just started recently, and it's becoming very annoying. I have used Textpad for years, and am registered although I haven't bothered entering my registration information on my current install (I'm a consultant and frequently have images loaded on my laptop, so I tend to re-install every few months). I'm using Textpad 5.2.0, 32-bit edition.

My problem is simple. When I have Textpad open, I can't alt-tab to any other applications. The Textpad window loses focus, but the other applications don't come to the foreground. If I want to see them I have to minimize Textpad. I'm currently using Windows XP.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I would love to figure this out, it's getting very annoying.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Configure
Preferences
View
Uncheck "Stay on top of other windows"
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
Cyberjag

Post by Cyberjag »

Thanks, I have no idea how that got checked but it fixed me.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

You might have accidentally right-clicked on TextPad button on the taskbar and selected "Stay on Top" there.

Andrew
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

i know this is an old post to which i'm replying, but the same thing happened to me. i hate the mouse and use it as little as possible (i'm an old coder who learned FORTRAN in the 1970s), and i think this thread should include my experience for the benefit of other keyboard-users. until i started searching the forums (fora?), i didn't know how TextPad ended up modal, but now it's obvious. other than minimizing, maximizing, and moving windows, i don't use the functions made available by typing ALT-SPACEBAR, and being a touch typist with about a 50% error rate (i always know where the BS/DEL key is!), i probably accidentally hit a T after bringing up the menu. i've fixed it in my Preferences, and i'll know where to go to fix it next time i mess up.