Textpad dosn't recognize JDK installation

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

wtf_gamer

Textpad dosn't recognize JDK installation

Post by wtf_gamer »

I just installed Java SE Development Kit (JDK) 6 Update 11
and txpeng520.exe. But after i run textpad it does not have the option to compile/run/runapplet, and under the configure, preferences, tools, add JDK commands are not in the list to add.

i am using vista 64 bit home premium.
i installed the JDK first before textpad.
i check my CLASSPATH variable in control panel it is set to .;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11

i have tried uninstalled reinstalling everything, restarting, etc. to the point of uninstall everything, install the JDK, restart, install textpad, restart, still no JDK commands =(

my old classpath was C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_07\lib\ext\QTJava.zip but that is quick time java, im not sure if that is relevant

i am positive the JDK is installed, java.exe is located at C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\bin

i have tried installing textpad in both Program Files and Program Files(x86) with no success.

any help would be much appreciated. ive tried searching with no avail
wtf_gamer

Post by wtf_gamer »

FIXED!

if anyone else is having this problem, im not sure if its the 64 bit issue or the newest version of the JDK but i installed jdk-6-windows-i586.exe and text pad now works fine :D
garyns

TextPad doesn't recognize JDK6

Post by garyns »

I just installed Java SE Development Kit (JDK) 6 Update 11
and txpeng520.exe. But after i run textpad it does not have the option to compile/run/runapplet, and under the configure, preferences, tools, add JDK commands are not in the list to add.

I'm running Vista. Do I need to set path variables?
I have tried a previously mentioned fix from this forum which did not work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

garyns
drg

Post by drg »

I'm very new at this so forgive my newbieness. I'm taking an intro to programming course. i've installed the most recent JDK in C:\Program Files (x86)\Java. My tools in Textpad show Jre-6u11-windows- i586- p-iftw but when I try to configure I get an error message saying program, syntax not recognized. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the JDK and Taxtpad about 5 times but I can't get Testpad to compile a Java program. Any Help? Thanks
garyns

Textpad can compile Java programs

Post by garyns »

If you have JDK (Java Development Kit) installed on your system and you install textpad, textpad recognizes JDK and adds external tools in the tools drop down - to compile and also to run a Java program. I know this is a fact because I have done this on a machine with XP. My problem is with VISTA.

garyns
enulan

import java.util.Scanner not import

Post by enulan »

wtf_gamer wrote:FIXED!

if anyone else is having this problem, im not sure if its the 64 bit issue or the newest version of the JDK but i installed jdk-6-windows-i586.exe and text pad now works fine :D
Thanks wtf, for updating. That worked for me also. I am very new to programming so I had to hunt to find out what "jdk-6-windows-i586.exe" is and what to do with it. Now my code compiles so I am a happy camper.

btw garyns stick to your guns :)
garyns

Java / TextPad Problem

Post by garyns »

From a previous post, I have already tried the outdated version "jdk-6-windows-i586.exe". This does not fix my Vista problem.
garyns
qurr

Post by qurr »

Wher do i dowload the jdk-6-windows-i586.exe file ?
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
qurr

Post by qurr »

I was thinking of a more trustit site. But i dowloaded it from google search and it works fine.