Find in Files enhancements

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

whatajoker

Find in Files enhancements

Post by whatajoker »

I use textpad a lot and our company bought 25 licenses at my request for other employees as well. However, a couple of things are making it very painful to use. Both are related to Find in files results tab. Its so painful that I am taking this extra effort to register and post this message.

1) Find in Files in current version (5.x) can not search through text files if they are stored as unicode - even though they are text files.

2) It would be nice to get an option for search results window (for find in files) to make it tabbed as it was in 4.7.3. Its really painful use the search results window if you need more real estate in the main document. You constantly have to drag and make the results window bigger or smaller.
whatajoker

One more thing about Find in Files

Post by whatajoker »

I forgot to add one more thing for find in files.

3) It would be nice to have * as filter but search only in text files. There could be a check box to achieve this. This way if i am searching for a text, I dont want it to search binary files.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

The find in files dialog has a checkbox to include binary files in the search. If you leave this unchecked and search for files matching *.* it should do what you want.

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
whatajoker

Post by whatajoker »

Thanks for the reply. But Binary checkbox does not do what you suggested. In fact, it works opposite. If binary flag is checked, it only searches binary files. If the checkbox is off, it searches all the files (binary/text/pdf...)
jdfrost

additional F-in-F suggestion

Post by jdfrost »

In addition to being able to filter results for one file type, I would like to see a filter by date and/or age since last revision. Often I only want to search through files more than, or less than, one week old.

Thanks again for a great product!
JD