Want a shortcut to open a file with Textpad

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Dick7

Want a shortcut to open a file with Textpad

Post by Dick7 »

The catch is the file has no extension, yet can be read with Textpad.

So what to do to get the shortcut to have Textpad open it?

Thanks
Dick
gan

Post by gan »

You can rightlick the file and choose "Textpad" from the context menu. You can also rightclick, select "send to" and then choose textpad. If you don't have textpad on the context menu you can choose "Configure->Preferences" from the menu within textpad and then you should find a option under general to add textpad to the context menu and under the "send to" part of the context menu as well.
If you want to have a shortcut to start textpad and open a file with a specific name you can simply create a shortcut for textpad with the filename (including the path) as the parameter. Where the target is something like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" "C:\Documents and settings\test\desktop\filename"
You can also use wildcards so the example below will open all the files in the testfolder:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\TextPad.exe" "C:\Documents and settings\test\desktop\testfolder\*"
Not sure if this answer your question, but if not i'm not sure if i understand what you are asking for.
Alan-LB

Post by Alan-LB »

You could rename the file to filename.txt so that TextPad sees it as a txt file.

or...

You can also right click on the file and select Open With - then select TextPad from the list of Options - then check the box "Always use selected program..."

Alan
Dick7

Post by Dick7 »

Alan-LB wrote:You could rename the file to filename.txt so that TextPad sees it as a txt file.

or...

You can also right click on the file and select Open With - then select TextPad from the list of Options - then check the box "Always use selected program..."

Alan
Can't do the first because the file is 'preferences', used by Wing IDE. If I add the .txt extension, Wing opens without my prefs being used.

Tried the second before posting here, but the "Always use ..." was grayed out, probably because of the lack of an extension.
Dick
Dick7

Post by Dick7 »

gan,

You wrote "If you want to have a shortcut to start textpad and open a file with a specific name you can simply create a shortcut for textpad with the filename (including the path) as the parameter."

That's what I wanted to do, and it works! Thanks!
Dick