Keyboard Shortcuts for Open-Document Navigation

Usage tips, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

HerNameWasTextPad

Keyboard Shortcuts for Open-Document Navigation

Post by HerNameWasTextPad »

The following was concluded using TextPad 4.X.X.

Here is a discussion of keyboard shortcuts for open-document navigation in TextPad:

- Ctrl+F6 is the equivalent of the "Next Document" tool button, which cycles through all open documents without modifying the order of those documents. "Next Document" means "the next document heading BACKWARDS in relation to the order in which the documents were selected (via the Document Selector, Document Tabs, or Window menu)."

- Ctrl+Shift+F6 (or Ctrl+Shift+Tab) is the equivalent of the "Previous Document" tool button, which cycles through all open documents without modifying the order of those documents. "Previous Document" means "the document that is previous to what is considered the next document." Since the "next document" heads backwards, the "previous document" therefore heads FORWARDS in relation to the order in which the documents were selected.

- Ctrl+Tab is uniquely implemented in that it first cycles BACKWARDS through all open documents if the Ctrl button remains held and then REMEMBERS an active document whenever the ENTIRE keyboard shortcut is RELEASED, for up to two documents. This allows a user to toggle back and forth between two documents (by releasing the entire keyboard shortcut after EACH of the two documents), and to reselect any two new documents for toggling, using the very same combination of keys. The trade off is that this behavior destroys the order in which the documents were originally selected.

As if all of this wasn't enough, the commands WindowNext and WindowPrevious will behave as follows, if you reassign new shortcut keys to them using Configure -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Window:

- WindowNext will behave exactly as Ctrl+F6 (NOT as Ctrl+Tab, even though Ctrl+Tab appears in Configure -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Window -> WindowNext)
- WindowPrevious will behave exactly as Ctrl+Shift+F6 (or Ctrl+Shift+Tab)

I personally have assigned "Alt+," to WindowNext, and "Alt+." to WindowPrevious.

At this time, I am uncertain as to whether there is a way to reassign a new keyboard shortcut to access alternatively the unique Ctrl+Tab behavior described above.
I came in on 4.5 in 2001, moved to 4.7.2 in 2004, moved to 4.7.3 in 2007, moved to 5.4 in 2010, and am excited about 2013. I've said it many times before, and I'll say it many times again: "I love this program."