Minor annoyance:Alt F+S wont dismiss menu for non-dirty file

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

drefty

Minor annoyance:Alt F+S wont dismiss menu for non-dirty file

Post by drefty »

PROBLEM:
Sometimes I hit Alt+F,S repeatedly, just as a habit to make sure that I always save my files. I figure its a good habit to train yourself for those apps that don't have an 'auto-save feature'.

The problem is, in the latest version of TextPad, if you try this key combination and the file is not "dirty" (i.e., there is no little asterisk next to the name). The file menu will not dismiss. It just rings the error bell at you.

REQUEST:
Is there a way to get the old behavior back from TextPad 4.x? The old version would just dismiss the file menu if your file was not "dirty" ... thus pressing Alt+F,S always had the same effect visually, the menu would go away even if your file didn't really have any changes to be saved.

The new features in TextPad look pretty good, this one minor annoyance, however, could use some kind of workaround.
drefty

Post by drefty »

Ok, I gotta admit, this is not just a minor annoyance, it's really irritating. Also, this seems to be non-standard behavior, other File->save menus will silently dismiss the menu with no error if the file happens to be non-dirty.

Shucks, it would sure be nice if someone had a fix for this :/
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I would suggest pressing CTRL+S instead.

Andrew
drefty

Post by drefty »

Thanks, but already thought of that.

I have ctrl+s mapped to "save tidy" ... which is a special save method that does extra stuff on top of the normal save (i.e., remove trailing spaces, update the "last-modified" time-stamp inside the text of the file (if any), add any extra automatic meta data, and do any extra syntax checking or pretty-print formatting based on the specific file type being edited, so on and so forth).

Not that it's not a good workaround, the problem is that one's already taken, and it'd be nice to just have the old behavior back and the new annoyance go away :( uggh ...