Document Selector

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important
100%
Not Important
No votes

Total votes: 7

dave.skinner

Document Selector

Post by dave.skinner »

Textpad is the 'official' editor we use here at my company, and I have to say it works great.

One enhancement I would like to see is to be able to open multiple workspaces (or something like that), and view them in the document selector, maybe in a tree view.

The reason for this is that I work with large projects, which have many files open at a time, often in slightly different areas, eg I may have Java files and releated PL/SQL files open.

A way to organise these files in the document selector would help me out a great deal.

Dave.
Hot Pastrami

Post by Hot Pastrami »

There is an add-on for jEdit called BufferList that does this very well... it shows a tree-like view of file locations, but it displays every folder as one level deep. It basically gives some context to the file beyond it's name.

In every other way, TextPad mops the floor with jEdit-- but this one feature is important enough that it keeps me switching back and forth. The underpowered TextPad selector is especially painful when editing web stuff... I might have distinct files called "index.php" open from 5 folders, five copies of "styles.css", etc. So I have to click each one to hunt for the one I want to edit. Blah.
Alan Bellows
DamnInteresting.com
Managing Editor, Designer, Developer
Simon Tortike

Document Selector

Post by Simon Tortike »

I too make use of workspaces with many files. A feature I would find most useful is a filter tool to control the display of filenames in the document selector, and the ability to change formatting to right justification. The latter makes it feasible to view same name files in different directories without having to make the selector window too wide. Other viewing methods have previously been suggested, such as a most-recently-used-order, or most-frequently-viewed-order, which would also be valuable.