IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in USER32.dll

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jdpipe

IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in USER32.dll

Post by jdpipe »

Hi all

Recently, I started seeing a dialog named "TextPad.exe - Entry Point Not Found" containing an error "IsThreadDesktopComposited could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll" when TextPad starts up. The dialog contains an 'ok' button, which when I click it, causes TextPad to continue starting up as normal.

I have checked my copy of USER32.dll using 'Dependency Walker', and I confirm that indeed my copy of USER32.dll does not include that symbol. My file version for USER32.dll is reported as '5.1.2600.3099 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070308-0222)'

The MD5 sum for my copy of USER32.dll is
$ md5sum.exe /c/WINDOWS/system32/user32.dll
b409909f6e2e8a7067076ed748abf1e7 */c/WINDOWS/system32/user32.dll

Can anyone else confirm this problem? I'm using an up-to-date copy of Windows XP on a Dell Precision.

Cheers
JP
helios

Post by helios »

If you have previously installed a beta version of Internet Explorer, then this could have installed DWMAPI.DLL and subsequent versions have not deleted it. In any case the solution should be to search for DWMAPI.DLL and rename it.
Helios Software Solutions
jdpipe

Strange...

Post by jdpipe »

Thanks for the tip. That's very interesting. I recently *added* DWMAPI.DLL to my system after being told to do so my the Multiframe support people (multiframe is a civil engineering modelling program). Multiframe NEEDS this file, although it wasn't currently on my system. I had previously had Multiframe installed, then I removed it (along with some other stuff, and some Windows Updates) then when reinstalling Multiframe, it no longer ran. I was told I needed to add this missing file.

You're saying that I should *not* have this DWMAPI.DLL file on my system? How can I know who is right here?

Cheers
JP