Converting view from HEX to TEXT

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

samguy

Converting view from HEX to TEXT

Post by samguy »

I'm trying to edit a macro (test.TPM) file, but it keeps coming up in HEX. How do I change to text?
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Tpm files are binary, so there's not much use opening them as text. If you must, try File | Open and select File format: Text. But you should only edit a macro if you know what you're doing, and preferably with a hex editor.
samguy

Post by samguy »

I have too many changes to record them and would prefer entering them manually. If I do that, assuming the syntax is correct, will the file run, or does it have to be compiled or interpreted?
jazzastronomer

Post by jazzastronomer »

TextPad macro files have proven to be remarkably resistant to editing. Many people have tried to figure out the file format so they can edit their own macros. As far as I know know none have been successful. If you do manage to figure it out let us know. Good luck.

Coho
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

nathanv117

Post by nathanv117 »

bveldkamp wrote:Tpm files are binary, so there's not much use opening them as text. If you must, try File | Open and select File format: Text. But you should only edit a macro if you know what you're doing, and preferably with a hex editor.
When i do file/open, i do not see option File format to select. How do I display a file in hex or in other formats? thanks
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I use TextPad as my TEXT editor.

I use the free XVI32 as my HEX editor. More info at: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob