Opening files from Windows Explorer in the current instance

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

pdesaulniers

Opening files from Windows Explorer in the current instance

Post by pdesaulniers »

I did search for topics regarding this question and found two. One the answer was a link to a topic that no longer exists, the other was an answer that isn't what I really want.

In Textpad 4, when I open a file in Windows Explorer while I already have an instance of Textpad running, the file opens in that instance. I have the "allow multiple instances" checked in my preferences. This is the desired behavior.

In Textpad 5, when I open a file in Windows Explorer while I already have an instance of Textpad running, I get a new instance of Textpad. I don't want to turn off "allow multiple instances" because at times I also want two instances running.

How can I get Textpad 5 to open files into a new tab instead of a new instance while allowing me to open another instance if I so choose?

Thank you

-- Peter
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I don't have access to TextPad right now, but....

You need to check this, but I think there is a startup switch that toggles multiple files option. Check Help for Parameters. I think the switch is "-m"

If that is correct, you could make two icons for starting Textpad. One without the switch active and another with the switch inactive.

But you will have to decide which will be associated with each file class. The system will never know whether you want multiple files active or not. You will need to make one of these the default. Else, leave everything alone, and use configuration to manually change preference before you go to select files to be opened.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Quatrix

Post by Quatrix »

I want just the opposite -- always open a new instance since tabs aren't much use to me (that's what the Windows taskbar is for).

When I associate a new file extension from inside TextPad, the default behavior is to use an existing instance. I force it to open a new window by going into the XP file type properties and unchecking "Use DDE". It doesn't use -m by default, so I'm not sure that's the issue for this guy. If you can't get it working, my suggestion is to delete the Windows file association, then re-associate it from TextPad. That might reset the behavior to use an existing window.
leefa

Post by leefa »

I want the file to open in the most recent instance , just like it did in Textpad 4 TOO!!!! But I still want to be able to have multiple instances.
LR
sja

Post by sja »

I need exactly the same thing as leefa - I should be able to start as many TextPad instances as I like, but new files opened from Windows Explorer should load into the instance that last had focus, just like in 4.7.3.

This functionality was one of the many good things that made TextPad the best text editor in the world - the complete and easy control over which files loaded into which TextPad instance.

I have had to go back to 4.7.3 due to this issue, but this reversion has caused another strange problem - when I go into Preferences in v4.7.3, it takes several seconds to load the dialog box. I hope this can be fixed - having a broken TextPad is almost as bad as having a broken keyboard...
MattS

Post by MattS »

I second sja and would like the behaviour leefa describes. Is there a configuration setting or something which will allow the same behaviour as 4.7.3?
Matthew
Thoksville

Post by Thoksville »

I second MattS, seconding sja, and would like the behaviour leefa describes.
This thread seems to be old-ish, has anyone found the trick yet?
Thanks.