disassembler and better hex editor

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Haro

disassembler and better hex editor

Post by Haro »

I love text pad but i do not like the hex editor (viewer rather). I would like it to be a full editor so you can edit binary (hex) values just as you would normal text. Also please make an option to view (and edit) in binary, that is, 0A6F would be displayed as 101001101111.

Also, i would like a disassembler. It wouldn't be hard, just convert the binary values to assembly language if the file is opened as assembly (make option in 'open', File format: auto, text, binary, assembly). I want to write in assembly for x86, 8051 and MIPS machines so it would be nice to have a syntax file that maps the binary to assembly:

Code: Select all

instruction_size = 32
[register]
0000 = a
0001 = b

[opcodes]
0000 = add
0001 = sub

[format]
rtype = opcode | register1 | register2
jtype = opcode | jump_address
something of that sort. Just so that i can define different types of assembly.

thanks
Customer in computer shop: "Can you copy the Internet onto this disk for me?"
aib

Post by aib »

While I'm not sure embedding a disassembler into a text editor would be a good idea (which µCs are you going to support? which binaries? which programs to disassemble those binaries?) I've always wanted the hex viewer to become a hex editor.

BTW, you can define your disassemblers as tools and just use CTRL+1~0 to run them. Of course, it would be nice if there was a "show output as new document" option for tools.
Haro

Post by Haro »

aib wrote:which µCs are you going to support? which binaries? which programs to disassemble those binaries?
I was kinda hoping that it could support any, as long as it was given a definition file (like the syntax files) but that would probably be hard to do since there are a lot of different types of assembly syntax
aib wrote:BTW, you can define your disassemblers as tools and just use CTRL+1~0 to run them.
I was thinking of doing that, although i mainly want the hex viewer to be a hex editor. Then i can edit the binary directly.
Customer in computer shop: "Can you copy the Internet onto this disk for me?"
PCPete

Hex editor suggestion...

Post by PCPete »

I agree - the lack of a good hex formatter and editor is one of the very, very few things I don't love about Textpad...

Going back a decade or so, as a positive suggestion, HexEdit was an excellent tool that fit into Textpad's tools menu, if you can get your hands on a copy.

I've got Hexedit V2.2, but sadly the installer doesn't run under XP x64...
Data is not Information. Information is not Knowledge. Knowledge is not Wisdom.