How would you rate TextPad?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

employee42

How would you rate TextPad?

Post by employee42 »

I work for a company that publishes a lengthy report on a yearly basis. We are still using the same text-editing software program that we did when the company started 20 years ago - XyWrite. XyWrite is DOS-based and only now have the higher ups become scared that soon new computers will not be able to run it (we've already encountered some problems).

Is TextPad a good substitute for XyWrite? In general, do people find TextPad user-friendly? (XyWrite is decidedly user-hostile). Are there any other text editing programs out there that I should be aware of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Important to understand that TextPad is a Text Editor program, not a Word Processor.

As a Text Editor, most of us believe that TextPad is second to none.

For a good word processor check out the FREE OpenOffice.org Writer at http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
zainka

Post by zainka »

XyWrite has changed name to Nota Bene for quite some years ago and is still beeing developed. You can find more info at
http://www.notabene.com/products.html .

First thing to do is to download the trial and check that it is backward compatible, something which I beleive it is.

Then purcase. (NOTE that there are different price tags if you are uppgrading from for example XyWrite (even though I dont know if your version is taken into account), look under price informationa an Cmpetitive Upgrade )

OpenOffice are mostly for MSOffice haters. I have been strougling with openoffice to make it deal with things which was easy in MSOffice. But there where always several more steps involved in the open office way to do it than in MSO no mather wat. I do not make plain text documents.

If not Open/MS - Office needed, go for NotaBene. This will give you less migration problems

Textpad is not an option for you...

/PS
You wrote
...and only now have the higher ups become scared that...
Sounds familiar. The low level peoples usually sees dangers far more earlier than "higher ups".