How to Display Alpha Character

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

vampnramp

How to Display Alpha Character

Post by vampnramp »

Hi freinds, I am having a problem with special character Alpha. I would like to print alpha character in text pad. It would be great if any of you can resolve this at the earkiest. Thanks a lot in Advanc :)
tcebob

Post by tcebob »

Depends on what font you are using. If it's a common one like Arial, it's U+03B1. Better to use Character Map, which comes with Windows. Find the character, copy it, and insert it into the text. You cannot mix fonts, so if you are using one without an alpha you are out of luck. (I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, which is great looking but *sob* no alpha.)

tcebob
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, which is great looking but *sob* no alpha
In that case I can make your day! If you like Bitstream Vera then switch to Deja Vu. These fonts are basically Vera but with support for a wider range of characters. To quote the description from the site:
Most DejaVu fonts are suitable for Latin (Western and Central European, African Latin and International Phonetic alphabets), Cyrillic (European) and Greek (Modern and Polytonic). Arabic, Armenian, Hebrew, Lao and Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics are currently in development and included in DejaVu Sans.
Hope this helps.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Alpha (α) is not included in Microsoft's "Western" character set (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_code_page). You could try setting your document's script to Greek, View > Document Properties > Font > Script, but you'd be missing some western European characters such as é, è and so on.
tcebob

Post by tcebob »

Steve H. --

I downloaded the DejaVu package and will try it out. One problem that might come up is TextPad's inability to use Unicode characters. Will let you know. Thanks for the tip.

tcebob
OwenBlacker

Post by OwenBlacker »

tcebob wrote:Steve H. --

I downloaded the DejaVu package and will try it out. One problem that might come up is TextPad's inability to use Unicode characters. Will let you know. Thanks for the tip.

tcebob
Indeed, despite the release notes saying they've fixed their Unicode support, I still get the message “WARNING: "filename" contains characters that do not exist in code page 1252 (ANSI - Latin I). They will be converted to the system default character, if you click OK.�. Clicking Cancel means the file-open fails.

Very disappointed; Unicode support has been lacking from TextPad since I first started using it, despite it being claimed in the documentation.

Someone really needs to fix this before I reluctantly uninstall TextPad and stop using it.