Bug: with curser when jumping lines

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

VoxEcho

Bug: with curser when jumping lines

Post by VoxEcho »

In TPB [before 5.x] when i am scrolling from line to line using my arrow buttons, the curser moved logically from line to line going to the same "spot" (not column, but a relitive spot in the next line) i am sure that anyone who uses TP for long knows what i am talking about

only now, sometimes when it should do this action, the curser instead jumps to the top visible line col 0 and will not respond to the arrows at all. i have to physically click into the window with the mouse to get control back.

i think this is a bug. :D

I have been using TP since 98, and am not yet ready to give up on it's development (hey how about some intellesense!) so i will stick it out with 5.x

/TP5.0.3
/winxpsp2
Why yes, I do program in Comic Sans
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

I see this occasionally, too. I have yet to work out what conditions trigger it.
acastles

Post by acastles »

I have noticed this behaviour too and have managed to work out steps to reproduce it each time.

1. Create a new document as follows:
Line 1: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 x 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Line 2:
Line 3:
(lines 2 and 3 are blank)
2. Make sure word-wrap is turned off
3. Resize the window small enough so that only half of the 1's above are visible (making a horizontal scrollbar appear)
4. Put the cursor at position x in Line 1 and press Right Arrow enough times to cause the window to scroll to the right
5. Press down arrow to put cursor at beginning of line 2
6. Press down arrow again - instead of moving to line 3, the cursor will jump to position 1,1 and stop responsing to the arrow presses.

The position jumped to in step 6 always seems to be the top left of the current view (so if you've already scrolled down it will jump to the beginning of the top-most visible line).

It seems to be the horizontal scrolling of the window that's causing the problem as it also happens if you use Ctrl + Right Arrow to move

Hopefully that will help troubleshoot this annoying behaviour.

Good luck,

Andy
Kakoroat

Noticed same

Post by Kakoroat »

Hello,
I've noticed roughly the same behaviour, that if the cursor goes to a position that makes the screen scroll to the right, when you arrow down twice, the second time throws you to the top of the screen. At which point (and this is where I differe a little), the up and down arrow keys are disabled, but not the left and right ones. If I press the left or right arrow keys, it re-enables the up and down arrow keys. Don't know if this helps any, but I thought I should point it out. I'm also hoping that if more people point out this bug that a patch will come out sooner than later cause I use this a LOT!!
I am.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

acastles wrote:I have noticed this behaviour too and have managed to work out steps to reproduce it each time.
Well done, Andy! :)
wsteinford

Very annoying problem

Post by wsteinford »

I'm surprised that there are so few comments in this thread.

Since I almost exclusively use the keyboard to move around and edit, this bug is very irritating to me... I encounter it about once every 5 to 10 minutes. It's actually driving me toward using something else entirely, like Notepad ++ (http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm) or CrimsonEditor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com/) both of which have similar features to TextPad, but are both free.

My symptoms are a little different, though. To reproduce the problem quickly, just do this:
1) make a line long enough to scroll the viewport sideways
2) add some (more than 1) shorter lines above and below it
3) add enough lines above it so that the viewport has scrolled down
4) go to the long line, and press the "END" key
5) press the DOWN arrow twice... the cursor jumps to 1,1
Notice that the DOWN arrow doesn't work, but UP arrow does. You can scroll up. You can PGUP/PGDN, but you can't Arrow Down until you use the RIGHT arrow, or LEFT arrow or HOME or END. Oddly, the screen jumps to an odd position if you press the LEFT arrow.

One workaround I've found is that when my cursor "disappears" ( VERY disconcerting...) pressing "HOME" or "END" key gets full keyboard control back.

I've also formed an odd habit of hitting the HOME key before the up or down arrow... almost subconsciously... to avoid this problem.

How many keystrokes I've wasted getting back to the position I was at, only to have it "disappear" again to 1,1, I don't know... thousands!
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Thanks wsteinford, I could reproduce your problem too.

Helios, can we get a fix for this please?

Andrew