Complete Uninstall

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

stummies

Complete Uninstall

Post by stummies »

Hello,

I'm a registered TextPad user and my spell checker doesn't work (among other issues). I have uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, but to no avail. It looks like my settings are still saved in the registry. I would like to perform a complete uninstall, and it doesn't look like the normal uninstall process takes care fo this. Are there any steps for this? I really don't like futzing around in the registry.

Thanks - Greg
helios

Post by helios »

If you want to do a complete uninstall, I'm afraid you will have to "futz" around with the Registry.

First of all, I recommend that you manually delete all the file associations you may have made in TextPad, under Configure/Preferences/Associated Files. This will have the effect of retaining the default settings for file extensions in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, when you follow the instructions below. You will lose your personal configurations, so these will need to be re-done, if you are going to reinstall. If you are a registered user you will also need to reinstall your license.

Next: Exit from TextPad and completely remove it from your computer, as follows.

From the Start menu choose:

1. Control panel
2. Add or Remove Programs
3. Select TextPad
4. Click on Remove

Next:

From the Start menu choose

1. Run
2. Type "REGEDIT.EXE" and click OK
3. From the Registry editor Edit menu select "Find"
4. Type "textpad" in the "Find what" section
4. Check the options "Keys, Values and Data"
5. Click "Find Next" and Delete, until all references have been deleted

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
stummies

Thank you

Post by stummies »

Thank you.
caschulz

reinstall for spelling didn't work

Post by caschulz »

I tried this uninstall, then reinstalled w. 5.0.3.
But spelling still doesn't work. I get the same error as in http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php ... t=spelling (General, Spelling not working in 5.0.2?)
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

I updated the spelling topic -- did get it to work after 2nd reinstall try w. reboot.
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

I agree that regedit makes me nervous, as too dangerous for manual error. I would prefer the right entries be automatically handled.