Seach all open docs using 'In all documents'

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

daveokeeffe

Seach all open docs using 'In all documents'

Post by daveokeeffe »

I searched the forums for a topic about this, but found nothing answer my question.

I want to search through all documents currently opened in Textpad. I open the search box, check the 'in all documents' checkbox, and click search. The status says 'Found X instances', but clicking 'Find Next' does nothing, it won't take me to where it found that instance.

I checked help, and it says this:
To find the next instance of the search pattern in all open documents simultaneously. This works best when the documents are tiled, although you can use the Next/Previous Window commands to cycle through them.
This works resonalby well, except when you're working with 50+ docs. What are these Next/Previous Window commands the help talks about?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I would tend to favour Ctrl-tab to switch between the files in the document selector. This seems to jump to the first instance of the searched string in each file.

When I can, I generally use Find in files over searching in all open document as one gets a summary that can be double-clicked. I appreciate this is not always appropriate though.
MeanRoy

I did a bunch of searches, this was all that seemed to relat

Post by MeanRoy »

Hi,
I've been happily using TextPad for many years.

After one or another upgrade I somehow "lost" the feature that allowed me to cycle through the open windows after a search.
Like Dave said in this post
open the search box, check the 'in all documents' checkbox, and click search. The status says 'Found X instances', but clicking 'Find Next' does nothing, it won't take me to where it found that instance.
I finally decided I HAD to have it back! I just have too many files to use "find in files" anymore.

I tried what the daveokeeffe suggested but it doesn't work for me.
When the search box is open, ctl-tab cycles from one to another option in the search box. ie. from "Find what" to "Text" to "Match whole words" and so on.
If the search box isn't open, ctl-tab cycles through the document selector but not necessarily the files where the search term is found.
Similarly, I'm not able to jump from bookmark to bookmark either! The files are marked but I have to "go fish" to find them.

The help file states:
This works best when the documents are tiled, although you can use the Next/Previous Window commands to cycle through them.
Tried them all. (I think)

I find that the "Mark all" option in search does mark all the documents, but I'm unable to jump from one to the next.
I suspect I've messed up or failed to configure a setting somehow.

Anyone have an idea as to whats wrong?

Roy.