Dynamic Filenames & Macros

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

emmawebbhobson

Dynamic Filenames & Macros

Post by emmawebbhobson »

Hi

I have recorded a macro which repeadetly selects some specified text and pastes it into a new document. I then want to save the files with their names i.e. Document1, Document2 etc.

The problem is I cannot choose 'Save All' from the menu, as they seem to require to have been already saved for this function to work. Obviously I cannot save them as part of the macro as this causes them all to have the same filename (depending on what filename it was given during the macro).

There will be over 2000 seperate documents when I have finished - so obviously I don't want to do it by hand! Any ideas?

Cheers

Emma
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

I don't know if a macro can accomplish the goals you are looking to do vis-a-vis saving. Perhaps a simple script could accomodate your needs?
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
emmawebbhobson

ha ha - success!!!!

Post by emmawebbhobson »

Hi

Once I had created all the documents (there were 1540 in the end!) I selected them all in the Document Selector and clicked close. Then as it asked me where to save them I just hit enter. Admittedly I had to press enter 3080 times but it wasn't so bad! I did it while eating my lunch! Then I used the DOS prompt with the command> rename *.txt *.html. Worked like a charm.

Thanks anyway!

Emma :P