Tab Moving Suggestion

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

nixp

Tab Moving Suggestion

Post by nixp »

Often times I am working with different versions of the same or similar documents. To make it easier on myself and to keep from accidentally changing the wrong version, I like to group the tabs. When viewing filename tabs at the top or bottom of the window, Textpad places the filename tabs from left to right in the order that the files were opened.

I would like to be able to re-arrange the order of those filename tabs without having to close all the files and re-open them in the desired order.

If there is already a way to do this, I'd love to know how.
mo

Post by mo »

2nd this.

The tabs get out of order for various reasons and with a lot of files open it becomes difficult to move through them in sequence. A way to sort would be useful.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
tarabyte

Post by tarabyte »

I third this motion, please please make this feature!!! :)
dwightd

Post by dwightd »

this might/might not help depending on requirements, but i'm wondering if these posters have used the document selector window? I like it much better than tabs when i have a lot of files open (most of the time), even though it does use more screen space.
-dwight
sjames1958

Post by sjames1958 »

What I would like to see is that the Window menu had the most recently visited files in reverse order, not alpha order. I generally have a large number of files open but time is scoping what files I wish to access.
IronMug

Post by IronMug »

I agree that movable tabs would be a great addition. I've used the document selector and that is a nice feature, but I prefer tabbed edit sessions. Daily I have, on average, a minimum of 7 files open at one time, often much more. The order they appear in can be a big help - I use this feature in Firefox constantly.

One additional item: when selecting a tab, the default behavior is for the row of tabs to move to the bottom. This is not helpful and causes confusion. Having an option to leave the tab rows in place when selecting files, maintaining their original location, would be ideal.

Anyway, I love this editor, thanks for all of the great work.