How about a Linux port?

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Wingman

How about a Linux port?

Post by Wingman »

Textpad is the best editor I've used. Haven't found anything quite as good for Linux.
The Spook

Post by The Spook »

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm trying to "make the switch," but at this point, I have a hard time living without TextPad, and have yet to find anything decent on Linux (at least for me and what I'm used to). I've tried Kate, but TextPad is still king IMO.

I'm not sure how profitable a port to Linux would be, however, for two reasons:

1. Most Linux users today seem to be geeks, and they have likely already found their favorite text editor they can live with
2. Most Linux users today seem to be against actually "paying" for software. Of course not all, but again, I wonder how profitable a port would be.

I could suggest a partnership with someone who is willing to port the application, thus offloading the work, and work out payment (which might include a percentage of the revenue) for that person. However, I know that's not an easy task either.

I'm not holding my breath, but TextPad on Linux would rock. I wonder if any skilled Linux developer actually uses TextPad, since it is Windows-only. Finding someone who is fanatic enough to be willing to port it for cheap would likely be difficult.
Daniel M. Hendricks
http://www.danhendricks.com