Forum Search Broken?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Pbufs

Forum Search Broken?

Post by Pbufs »

I didn't see any forum for forum-related inquiries, so I just started this here...

The forum search seems broken. For example, if I do a search on "find" in all available forums, I get no matches, when clearly I see several threads titled "find" and I imagine the word "find" is fairly common in this forum.

If I do a search for "syntax", I do get results.

What I'm actually trying to search for is "find in files", but that didn't work, so I reduced it to "find" which also does not work...
- Joe
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Guessing "find" could be an excluded word for some reason. Don't know why though, I only get around 900 hits for "fin*".
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
Pbufs

Post by Pbufs »

Haha, I love that quote. I used it in a meeting around crunch time a couple weeks ago. :P

Ok, I kind of thought that might be the case, but I would expect the search to return something like "find is an excluded word and cannot be searched" or something.

I also tried "find in files" and "in files" (with the quotes to make it a phrase) which returned zero results. I suppose that could just be that quotes don't work in the search...
- Joe
hillsc

Post by hillsc »

I was just about to post the same thing. But it does seem like certain words are excluded. (My first test was "TextPad" because I though for sure there had to be at least one post with that word in it. ;) )

So then I thought I'd search to see if there were any posts on search being broken, and realized what a catch-22 that was...

Finally got it to work without using such generic search terms. Be nice if it said, "That word is too common, please use something else" instead "no topics found." But that's phpbb's problem...