Alt-tab to TextPad if minimized to tray

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bveldkamp

Alt-tab to TextPad if minimized to tray

Post by bveldkamp »

The title says it all: If TextPad is minimized to the tray area (next to the clock), it doesn't appear in the Alt-tab list, so I can't easily switch to TP. As a matter of fact, I can't find any way to restore TP using only the keyboard...
I'd like to have TP appear in the Alt-tab list, or at least some hotkey to restore TP.

If this seems unclear, have a look at Total Commander to see what I mean.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

If you don't like the result of "Minimize to tray" switch off "Minimize to tray" ...
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Sorry, but what kind of a reply is that? Remember this forum is for Enhancement Suggestions.

I like Minimize to Tray, and my Suggestion is to Enhance this functionality by providing keyboard access to the tray icon.
David Haslam

Keyboard access to the system tray

Post by David Haslam »

bveldkamp wrote:Sorry, but what kind of a reply is that? Remember this forum is for Enhancement Suggestions.

I like Minimize to Tray, and my Suggestion is to Enhance this functionality by providing keyboard access to the tray icon.
Wouldn't that be an enhancement to Windows Explorer rather than to TextPad per se? There are some freeware/shareware tools available on the WWW which enhance the System Tray in various ways, though I've not made use any since Windows 95 days. Try a Google search.
Best regards,

David F Haslam, MA, CEng, MIEE
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Maybe, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Bill to implement my wishes. Besides, if an application has functionality to minimize to the tray (which is also not standard behaviour in Explorer), it should give an option to restore itself. And I'm pretty sure there are MS guidelines available which tell developers that all functions should be accessible with both mouse *and* keyboard.

BTW, I found a way to restore by using the keyboard, but you should have "Allow multiple instances" checked off: <Windows-Key> <P> <Right-arrow> <T>
johnbweb

Post by johnbweb »

Hi,

I don't think that applications minimized to the System Tray should show up in the Alt+Tab list. I've got several applications that give me that option, and none of them show up in the Alt+Tab list. This includes the Windows Task Manager in Windows XP. In the Task Manager, if I select Options/Hide when minimized, the Task Manager goes to the system tray, and isn't available using Alt+tab. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del restores the Task Manager.

So one other possible solution is to map a keyboard button or combination to the program, if your keyboard allows it. That's what I do for KeyNote, my favorite PIM.

John B.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

Well, Total Commander does, and in that case I like it, but I agree that not all tray apps should show up in the Alt-tab list. Which is another reason to include this in Textpad, and not in Windows Explorer.
To keep everyone happy, appearing in the Alt-tab list would have to be optional, ofcourse.
pa1

Minimise to tray

Post by pa1 »

I think that the tray is not really there for applications but to offer a user interface for windows services. As such they should not come up on the select application (alt-tab).

The fact that Textpad and other applications allow you to do this is in fact the real issue. (It is not a critisism it can be useful not to take up space on the task bar with buttons for applications). However as a developper I think that it is important not to mess around with Windows UI best practices. (Microsoft isn't all bad.) Have you ever tried to use Lotus notes? It is fine once you have spent a month of frustration learning how the UI works.

Also the fact that another program developer has spent time to code a way round the operation of windows does not mean that it is right for all.