File backup that doesn't overwrite original file

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Steve-o

File backup that doesn't overwrite original file

Post by Steve-o »

I occasionally suffer system crashes, and would like a way to recover the file I was working on in TextPad when my computer went down. There are currently two "backup" options in TextPad, but neither does what I want. One of them simply keeps a copy of the previous version of a file when you save a new copy, and the the other option just does an automatic "File | Save" at the specified time interval. I do *not* want to automatically save over my original file with my current work, as I often make temporary changes to files, or decide I want to revert, etc.. And I don't want to only get backups when I make a Save because that won't protect me from crashes.

In some editors like PICO a "journal" is kept while working so that in the event of a crash the editor can automatically reconstruct exactly where you were when the crash occured. This would be a wonderful addition. Almost as good would be if the timed backup could be changed to save to a special, seperate, backup file instead of overwriting the original file. In this case you could still lose a few minutes of work (unlike with the journal) but it would be better than losing everything.

--Steve-o
sparro

Hear hear!

Post by sparro »

I just created an account here simply so I could request this particular update to Textpad. I, too, would greatly like to see this feature added...
dbartow

File save should NOT save over original

Post by dbartow »

Here is a perfect example: I made changes to a program for about an hour. After realizing a better way to approach the whole idea, I dumped the program and quit Textpad. BUT, the original file had already been modified by Textpad. Time to find the backup CD...
"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."

-- John Ruskin
-- English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900)