Undo and redo buffers

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

hallyhaa

Undo and redo buffers

Post by hallyhaa »

Hi

I have unchecked "clear undo buffer when saving" in the preferences, but it seems that the redo buffer is cleared when I save. Is this me or TextPad doing something wrong?

HY
Prætera censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
SteveH

re: Undo and redo Buffers

Post by SteveH »

I have also unchecked this box but don't have any problems as you describe. I think we need more information to figure out what is going on. A few (potentially silly) thoughts though.

Have you verified that the setting has been saved?

You didn't exit from TextPad following the save did you (this was the only way I could clear the buffer)?
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

I concur this happens but I don't know if it's a bug or not. Perhaps it's a missing feature. The option in TP is for the undo buffer, not the redo buffer. I fired up Word and Paint and they do retain the redo buffer after a save but I'm fairly certain TextPad isn't the only application I routinely use that clears the redo buffer on saving. You can always create a 5 choice poll in the enhancement section if you'd like to have explicit control over it.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

I just did the following (with the unchecked option):

Created a file, saved it.
added 5 lines to it
abc
def
ghi
jkl
mno

then used undo until only the abc line still existed.
I saved the file.

I used redo until the 5 lines were complete again.

I saved the file again.
I used undo til the file was only the abc line again.

so both the redo and the undo buffer still exist after saving the file.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Curious. I first thought that it was becuase I was still running 4.7.1 at work :oops: but I just upgraded to 4.7.2 and tried it again.
a
b
c
d

Undid until only a and b remained. Saved and redo is grayed out. I could still undo so I undid so only a remained, redo was enabled, saved and redo is disabled. Curious.
W2k SP4 I believe. Clear undo buffered is not checked.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
hallyhaa

Post by hallyhaa »

OK, I could undo and redo with the abc/def/etc example. So this behaviour seems to be... every now and then. Hm.

HY
Prætera censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
Rodrigo

Post by Rodrigo »

I have the same problem....

But the strange thing is,
up until today i didn't have any problem with redoing things after i saved.
and now i just can't anymore...
it's very strange...
i'm running Win2K SP4
textpad version 2.7.3 (registered)

i tried to mark & unmark the "clear redo when saving"

if you need anymore info, mail me
pjries

Intermittant problem - in TextPad 5.0.3

Post by pjries »

Hello - I'm new to the forums, but a long time user of TextPad. I'm reviving this thread - in hopes of gaining some knowledge and help in using version 5.0.3.

The ability to redo edits after a save is of major importance to me and unlike others in this thread, I had no problem with that in version 4.73. It always worked (and saved me a number of times!)

However, in 5.x I've experienced the now-it-works/now-it doesn't syndrome. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips or hints on how to make this feature consistent in the 5.x versions.

Tho I really did love 4.73, I've found a lot to like about 5.0.3. I can switch back (and may have to if there's no solution for the redo issue) but I'd love to be able to keep using the latest version.

(I should note that I'm running Windows XP SP 2, and a registered copy of 5.0.3)

Thanks for your consideration.
Cloink

Post by Cloink »

I've never been able to redo after a file save, I just presumed it was not intended to happen - the option is only for 'undo' explicitly according to the label against the checkbox.

I can UNdo after a save, and have always been able to, which is generally more useful to me, though there have been occasions I've wanted to redo after a save.