Find (w/ In All Documents options)

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

tcdo6666

Find (w/ In All Documents options)

Post by tcdo6666 »

Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for creating the textpad program. A great tool. One thing I thought would be useful (which might already be there but i can't find) is the ability to generate a "Search Results" page when using "find" with the "in all documents" option selected. Right now, the help states that you have to use "Next/Previous Window" command or tile the windows in order to see all occurences of find. If you have many documents open, it can be very hard to navigate.

let me know if this has already been posted or is already available. I tried doing a search but found nothing.

Thanks,
-Toan
tbeaulieu

I second that!

Post by tbeaulieu »

It's this request that I came here to suggest. I have 47 documents open and I searched for a word in all docs. It reported that 7 occurences were found.

OK ... so where are they?!
VoxEcho

Post by VoxEcho »

i have taken to useing replace (replacing it with the same word) so that the files that DO have instances will show as unsaved... the downside to this of coarse is that i loose the CASE of the word to whatever i used as replace, and if i select match case, it will not show the ones that don't... so i have to go to each of the files and undo... but it's a work around none the less.

-Echo
Why yes, I do program in Comic Sans
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

VoxEcho, do it as a regex replace, with & as the replacement expression

Thus you replace whatever was found with whatever was found.
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

VoxEcho wrote:i have taken to useing replace (replacing it with the same word) so that the files that DO have instances will show as unsaved... the downside to this of coarse is that i loose the CASE of the word to whatever i used as replace, and if i select match case, it will not show the ones that don't... so i have to go to each of the files and undo... but it's a work around none the less.

-Echo
This is exactly what I've been doing. I perform the regex replacement, and then I look through the Document Selector for unsaved files. It's kind of a dumb way of doing things.
Flink

Re: I second that!

Post by Flink »

tbeaulieu wrote:It's this request that I came here to suggest. I have 47 documents open and I searched for a word in all docs. It reported that 7 occurences were found.

OK ... so where are they?!
In former versions of text pad someone could navigate through the open documents by pressing the <find next> button.
However the latest version 4.7.3 has the same error and does nothing.
16. - 21. August 2005: Weltjugendtag in Köln