File/Workspace/Save;File/CloseAll;File/Workspace/Open FAILS!

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rasa

File/Workspace/Save;File/CloseAll;File/Workspace/Open FAILS!

Post by rasa »

I do the following:

1. File/Workspace/Save

2. File/CloseAll

3. File/Workspace/Open the workspace saved in 1. above

The workspace is empty.

This makes no sense at all.

How is it possible that the above sequence of commands could possibly *empty* the workspace of all it's files?

IMHO, it's shouldn't work that way. If you want to empty a workspace of all it's files, you should have to do:

1. File/CloseAll

2. File/Workspace/Save
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Changes to a workspace are applied automatically. (I think I remember that this was configurable at some time, but I am not sure)

If you want to close all files without throwing them out of the workspace, do a File - Workspace - Close instead of a File - Close All.
helios

Post by helios »

Mudguard is right. Please see here for a description of Workspaces:

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5185
Helios Software Solutions
rasa

That is counter intuitive

Post by rasa »

IMHO, the functionality you are describing is counter intuitive.

If the workspace "auto-saves" then why does TExtPad imply they aren't auto-saved by asking "do you want to save changes to the workspace?"

I would strongly suggest that TextPad ask you before blindly removing files from a workspace.

Or at the very least, provide this as an option.
rsdelong

Close All empties Workspace

Post by rsdelong »

I just fell victum to this. I wanted to close all the files in my workspace, so I selected File/CloseAll. Now, when I open the workspace, it's empty.

FEATURE ENHANCEMENT!
================
Notify the user that a workspace is open and confirm the user to:
Empty Workspace of All Files or Close All Files WITHOUT changing the Workspace.
rasa

Still an issue 9 years later

Post by rasa »

Note that performing File > Close on every file does not remove the closed files from the workspace.

Also note that highlighting all the files in the Document Selector and right-clicking and selecting [Close Document(s)], does not remove the closed files from the workspace.

What *DOES* silently remove all the files from the workspace is selecting File > Close All.

This is clearly a bug, and should be fixed.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I have to agree with both MudGuard and helios. Changes to your Workspace are applied automatically, and the feature is working as intended.

When you close a file, the presumption is that you wanted to remove that file from the Workspace, so you are not prompted to update the Workspace.

When you open a file, the presumption is that you wanted to add that file to the Workspace, so you are not prompted to update the Workspace.

When you close TextPad with an Empty Workspace, that can viewed as a somewhat drastic step vis-à-vis Workspaces. The very notion of a Workspace is to preserve easy access to a list of files, so when you close TextPad on an Empty Workspace, you are always prompted with, "Do you want to save changes to the workspace?"--regardless of how you got there.

File>Close All
File>Close
Right click in the Document Select and choose Close

You are always going to be prompted on an Empty Workspace, again because an Empty Workspace is counterintuitive to the notion of a Workspace.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
rasa

Sorry, but that's not my experience with TextPad 7.0.9

Post by rasa »

kengrubb wrote:When you close a file, the presumption is that you wanted to remove that file from the Workspace, so you are not prompted to update the Workspace.
Sorry, but that's not my experience with TextPad 7.0.9. Closing a single file (or multiple files), does not automatically remove the file(s) from the Workspace, unless you select File > Workspace > Save.
kengrubb wrote:When you open a file, the presumption is that you wanted to add that file to the Workspace, so you are not prompted to update the Workspace.
Sorry, but that's not my experience with TextPad 7.0.9. Opening a single file (or multiple files), does not automatically add the file(s) to the Workspace, unless you select File > Workspace > Save.
kengrubb wrote:When you close TextPad with an Empty Workspace, that can viewed as a somewhat drastic step vis-à-vis Workspaces. The very notion of a Workspace is to preserve easy access to a list of files, so when you close TextPad on an Empty Workspace, you are always prompted with, "Do you want to save changes to the workspace?"--regardless of how you got there.
Sorry, but that's not my experience with TextPad 7.0.9. If I load a workspace, and then do File > CloseAll, and then do File > Exit, TextPad prompts me if I want to save the workspace. But regardless of whether I answer Yes, or No, the Workspace is empty when I restart TextPad, so the question is moot.

The problem is that whenever I do a File > Close All, TextPad is automatically modifying the Workspace without me doing File > Workspace > Save.

As stated above, TextPad doesn't otherwise modify the Workspace, unless I do File > Workspace > Save, so it makes zero sense to me why it's modifying the Workspace if I didn't specifically tell it to.

Thanks for your response,

Ross
Last edited by rasa on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

What is the name of your Workspace?
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
rasa

Post by rasa »

kengrubb wrote:What is the name of your Workspace?
Ken, thanks for following up. The issues I have appear to be independent of the workspace filename, as it's occurred with at least the following names:

Code: Select all

eod.tws
test.tws
openvpn.tws
usps.tws
apache-config-files.tws
opm.tws
oauth.tws
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

What version of TP are you using?
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Under Configure, Preferences, General Tab:
- Do you have "Reload last workspace at startup" checked?
- Do you have "Allow multiple instances to run" checked?
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.