Sorting document tabs

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is this feature for future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
45%
Somewhat important
24%
I'm okay either way
17%
Somewhat unimportant
10%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
3%

Total votes: 29

pgunni

Sorting document tabs

Post by pgunni »

I use textpad to edit asp files and sometimes have up to 20 files that I am editing. Because the font is quite small for the tabbed document selector and they are not in any order it takes awhile to scan for the file I want to edit.

It would be great if there were an autosort feature whereby document tabs are displayed in a sorted order. Suggestions for sort criteria include

Alphabetic on document name
Date last modified/edited
CyberSlug

Post by CyberSlug »

I agree that TextPad really needs this feature!

In the meantime, you can try out a tool I wrote:
see http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14475
joel

Post by joel »

I'd like to see something like in (recent versions of) Opera - you can drag a document tab a new position. Not sure how it'd work with stacked tabs, though.
--Joel
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

You can drag a document tab to a new position in the latest versions of Visual Studio too. It's a really cool feature, and would be great to see in TextPad. Actually, in this context, I think I'd find manual sorting of document tabs EVEN BETTER than auto-sorting.

I also think it would be quite nice to be able to switch the display at will between displaying on document tabs. (a) the full pathname, (b) the filename only, or (c) a condensed version of (a) with ... in the middle.

I'm voting for this one, but please take these suggestions into account too.

Jill
Tomas Eklund

Post by Tomas Eklund »

Being able to order document tabs by the means of drag-n-drop is, once you get used to it, difficult to live without. I really hope this feature will be available in the next version of TextPad.

Opera has it but I had to install a plugin to get in Firefox. As for text editors, EditPad Pro and UltraEdit both have it.

It's the little things that makes me love TextPad, and it's the little things that makes me frustrated with it...
Lawrence Dol

Post by Lawrence Dol »

I also frequently have 20-50 documents open. I don't use the tabs (as a UI mechanism) because they are worthless with this many of them. I do use the document selector and would dearly love it if the selector grouped the open documents by directory.
-- Lawrence Dol