The ultimate enhancement

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ContractedHack

The ultimate enhancement

Post by ContractedHack »

I'll start off by saying TextPad is the closest thing I've found to the code editor I would write for myself. Except for missing document treeview and "Remote Snippets".

To my knowledge no one has written an IDE that allows the user to store and organize code snippets on a remote machine. By remote machine, I mean via internet access. I write code here at work, at home, a friends house, and at my in-laws. It would absolutely amazing if I could connect to a snippets library on a web server at every location.

Does anyone else like this idea? If not, what would you suggest as my alternative to organizing and accessing my large snippets library?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Mark
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Store your snippets in .htaccess protected directory on your website and grab them from anywhere in the world whenever you need them.

Of course you should organize them first with an indexed list to jump around quickly.
ContractedHack

Remote snippets

Post by ContractedHack »

webmasta wrote:Store your snippets in .htaccess protected directory on your website and grab them from anywhere in the world whenever you need them.
You're talking snippets in web pages correct? If so, yes I've considered that. I could even write a whole web app to manage the storing, searching, and retrieving. That'd be Ok, but I'd love to have that integrated into my IDE. I've seen IDEs that let you store snippets in shared folders on the LAN. I think HomeSite does that. That's nice, for a development team, but doesn't work for my remote access requirements.

I suppose if no one ever builds this into an IDE, then I'll have to roll a web app.

Thanks for the reply :)
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Not necessarily web pages... i use .txt files and wrap the snippet in pre tags.. that way i just grab directly from the page on display and paste into my script preserving the indentation etc

I find this to be better than having an integration in my program cuz everyway i go will leave my stuff hanging around if integrated.
ContractedHack

Post by ContractedHack »

webmasta wrote:Not necessarily web pages... i use .txt files and wrap the snippet in pre tags..
Yep, pre tags is an excellent idea.

One of these days I'll convince someone to build this into their IDE. What a joyous day that will be! :wink:
Drxenos

interesting

Post by Drxenos »

This idea is intriguing. Can one of you elaborate on it?
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

Which idea? Integration or storing on web in txt files?