Ruler Tool for TextPad

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

autopatch

Ruler Tool for TextPad

Post by autopatch »

Has anyone previously asked for a ruler tool to be included in TextPad? It would be nice to be able to figure out what column I'm in at a glance, or how many columns a particular string takes up.

A good example of what I'm talking about, and a tool that I use frequently is V at http://www.fileviewer.com. I have the paid version of File Viewer which enables the user to grab the ruler with his/her mouse and move the ruler up and down the page to any line in the file. It would be nice to not have to switch programs from my text editor to a file viewer just to get the use of something like the ruler.

And yes, I am a paid user of TextPad as well.

Thanks!
jeffy

Re: Ruler Tool for TextPad

Post by jeffy »

autopatch wrote:It would be nice to be able to figure out what column I'm in
The column is always displayed in the status bar. Just turn it on via the view menu.

At least this is a small part of what you want.
Glg11

Ruler Tool for Textpad

Post by Glg11 »

Yes, a ruler tool would be fine!
And a double click on a ruler position could mark a column of the whole file (see also double click at the left of a row). :P
I'm working with CSV files and have to add or remove columns in large files. Some functions for this operations would be nice.

Best regards
Heiko J.
CBargar

Ruler Tool for TextPad

Post by CBargar »

Would also be nice for a "cursor" to be displayed in the ruler to show the current position of the cursor in the text. Just like my old Underwood typewriter I used in the late '60s. Might only be possible to accurately position it when using monospaced font, though.

I do a lot of mainframe assembler source code editing using TextPad, and being able to graphically determine the cursor position would really help.

Would also be nice to see the tab stops on the ruler.