++remote files from servers

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

abelpnjr

Post by abelpnjr »

I believe to be a great improvment access files and edit from server directly. I see others editors making this. Example: Crimson, jEdit e UltraEdit, but a like very much TextPad and I would be very happy if I would can do it. :cry:
CBargar

Post by CBargar »

I'll add my support for this one.
I edit files on a mainframe all the time.
To use TextPad, I have to FTP download/upload them in a separate operation.
I have UltraEdit (company version), but prefer TextPad (my own copy).
dekawar

Built In FTP

Post by dekawar »

I requested FTP functionality over 2 years ago shortly after I purchased my license for TextPad. It remains the main feature that I feel is missing from the product. I still use TextPad as my preferred text editor, but I have a great need for the built in FTP and have had to use competing products to accomplish my work in many instances.

How long will it take to get FTP into the product? Considering how long ago it has been requested you would think it wouldn't take that much longer since there are apparently batch file programs or something that are supposed to work somehow. Unfortunately, those are not very intuitive when you want to use a Windows based product and increasingly the number of people who use those kinds of patches will reduce because people want point and click functionality.

I hope this marvelous product will get FTP built in soon, but I have been checking back for a long time in hopes of seeing it and have not found it so far.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

You can always map a network drive/add network place to achieve your point and clickiness. It will then be available under My Network Places. I was able to open up my home files no problem (windows 2k, ymmv)
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
CBargar

Post by CBargar »

When you're editing/saving files on a mainframe, mapping network drives isn't an option. FTP or SEND/RECEIVE(ugly) through your emulator program are about your only choices.
tygrus78

Post by tygrus78 »

MS do it with their software for several years. I wouldn't mind having the feature. Some FTP programs can have TextPad set as the default file viewer/editor and so the FTP program looks after the file transfers in the background.