TextPad vs Edit+ vs ConTEXT

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

TextPad vs Edit+ vs ConTEXT

Post by guest »

Hi,
I have recently started looking at text editors and came across a few different ones that seem to work well. I know that this is a TextPad forum and all answers will be biased towards TextPad. What I am trying to determin is what does TextPad offer that the above mentioned text editors do not...what is better...what is not so good, etc. I have trying to decide between:

TextPad
Edit+
NotePad light
ConTEXT

Thanks for your help

change in above list

Post by guest »

The list should read

TextPad
Edit+
NoteTab Light (not notepad)
ConTEXT

thanks!
Ed

Post by Ed »

At the time of writing I see that no-one has replied but 28 people have looked. This may be because we are all TextPad users and have found that it is an excellent editor for our purposes. It handles huge files and lots of them and works as one would expect a windows program to work. It has syntax highlighting, macros , configurable keypads, regular expressions etc etc Therefore, I have not bothered exploring the competition - it does most of what I want. - and it doesn't fall over!

The main omissions (in my opinion):-
1. It has macros, but they are not editable. - (There is a workaround -see
"Quick Macros")
2. You cannot hide code that is indented to a chosen level (as Codewright)
3. It has no language understanding so you cannot find calls to functions or the location functions.
and that's about it - maybe someone else will add to the list.
If you do find out about the other editors I guess it would be nice to know what we're missing!
zridling

Post by zridling »

UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) is TextPad's most direct competitor according to the "professonal" reviewers (ha). Here's the biggest difference between them:

UltraEdit (UE)
- Better, faster file loading, esp. large files
- Complete customizability of the program
- Offers a Lifetime product license option
- Excellent User Manual
- Can print 2 pages per sheet
- Variety of cap/uncap shortcuts

TextPad
- Better icons! (makes program 'look' better)
- Natural white space left of text (UE places text right up against the app's border)
- Keyboard shortcuts schemes
- Excellent Word Count dialog (UE's is ugly!)
- Better Find dialog (UE's closes upon a hit)
- Better color management schemas

Those who chose UltraEdit tend to choose it because of its large-file handling abilities over TextPad. Otherwise, TextPad and UltraEdit are very close. TextPad just looks better and has a better website and better forums.