TextPad or UltraEdit?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Bernhard Krabina

TextPad or UltraEdit?

Post by Bernhard Krabina »

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating UltraEdit and TextPad. It seems to be a tought decision...
...what's your opinion?

Why is TextPad better? Where is it weaker than UltraEdit?

Thanx!
Bernhard
Daniel Renshaw

Re: TextPad or UltraEdit?

Post by Daniel Renshaw »

IMHO...

For me the best plus for TextPad is it's ease of use and straight-forward Regex support and integration.

However, I also use UltraEdit in a few scenarios, particularly where I want syntax completion.

Dan
David

Post by David »

I like UltraEdit because of two things I use all the time that TextPad doesn't have. Firstly, It has a column mode opposed to a block selection mode. I believe the column mode is better because I can delete whole columns at a time without having to use the mouse. Secondly, the printing is better because you can print two documents right after each other without a page break.

My humble opinion
Christoph Nahr

Post by Christoph Nahr »

You definitely should try out UltraEdit for a while first. Yeah, it does have a ton of features and gets frequent updates (hint, hint!) but whenever I try a new version some really bad bug or weird interface problem comes up within the first ten minutes or so. Then I go back to Textpad... again. It's simply much more reliable and intuitive.
Dieter Kaehler

Post by Dieter Kaehler »

Try UltraEdit when make sourcecode for C++,

the function list is fine
ctags is very useful

the error-messages from my gnu-compiler are working
you can comment a block
you can work with several projects

you get more updates, it looks so, that textpad is dad

both products are stable

Dieter
Xenos

Post by Xenos »

I was going to try UltraEdit when I first starting looking for a new editor (and found TextPad). I was turned over by the overt religous tone of their site, and looked else where.
Bernhard Krabina

Post by Bernhard Krabina »

At least the TextPad forum is nicer: zero posts to the same question at the UEdit-Forum up to now...

:-)
Pallex

Post by Pallex »

"Firstly, It has a column mode opposed to a block selection mode. I believe the column mode is better because I can delete whole columns at a time without having to use the mouse."

Why can't you use Block Mode in TextPad to delete columns?
Erland Sommarskog

Post by Erland Sommarskog »

"Firstly, It has a column mode opposed to a block selection mode. I believe the column mode is better because I can delete whole columns at a time without having to use the mouse."

I don't know how the column mode in UltraEdit works, but you can use the
block mode in TextPad to delete columns. I have mapped Ctrl/W to toggle
between block mode and line mode. While in block mode when you move
the cursor with the arrow keys and the shift key pressed you select a block,
note a line.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I've found the only -major- gripe I've had with TextPad (compared to UltraEdit) is the ability to EDIT MACROS! Hopefully I said that loud enough that the nice folks at TextPad will get the hint.

Both will allow you to record keyboard macros but UltraEdit allows you to edit them after you've saved them. Some of my macros are quite long and let me tell you, I'm not perfect when it comes to pressing the right key at the right time...
;)

Other than that, TextPad is a superior product.

BTW: (re: David's previous post) RTM, man. Configure/Block Select Mode. Choosing this option is an on/off switch. When checked, allows you to...

...you guessed it...

Delete columns.
Pallex

Post by Pallex »

>the ability to EDIT MACROS

Yeah, i`ve noticed that. Its why I don't use them. Maybe they'll fix it soon?!
zridling

Post by zridling »

Here's the key differences that stand out for me. I like both programs, but TextPad should just steal/copy the best parts of UltraEdit.

UltraEdit (UE)
- Better, faster file loading, esp. large files
- Complete customizability of the program
- Offers a Lifetime product license option
- Excellent User Manual, but lousy help files
- Can print 2 pages per sheet
- Autocomplete
- Favorite files
- Close All Except Current (file)
- umlaut/accented character shortcuts
- Edit macros

TextPad
- Better icons!
- Easier installation
- Natural white space left of text (UE places text right up against the app's border)
- Keyboard shortcuts schemes included (saves LOTS of time)
- Excellent Word Count dialog (UE's is ugly!)
- Better Find dialog (UE's closes upon a hit)
- Better color management schemas
- Tighter menu integration to program
- Excellent Help files

Those who chose UltraEdit tend to choose it because of its large-file handling abilities over TextPad. I work with 5-36Mb files and TextPad tends to choke on anything larger than 1Mb, whereas UltraEdit opens a 36Mb file in less than 4 seconds.

Otherwise, TextPad and UltraEdit are very close. TextPad just looks better, is configured more sensibly, and has better forums/user support.
Peter Wone

Post by Peter Wone »

In 1993 I started using Textpad in conjunction with ISQL which was conceptually equivalent to ISQL/W but with a real editor.

In 1997 I worked at a place where they used UltraEdit in a similar role. UltraEdit kept flaking out on me so I downloaded Textpad and installed it. I'm not sure what annoyed their chief programmer more, the fact that I didn't ask him or the fact that most of his staff started using Textpad in spite of company policy of using UltraEdit.

In 2000 I learned to program in Java using Textpad as my development environment - a single keystroke to shell the Java compiler. Since then I have acquired JBuilder, and except for code completion and integrated debugging I'd prefer to use Textpad.

In 2003 I'm still using it. The only time I ever managed to crash it, the fault was mine. I used the context menu to invoke Textpad on a file selected in the modal Textpad "File Open" dialog. Even though this is a fairly stupid thing to do, at the time that I did it, it was already a documented issue.

This is the most stable editor I have ever used. It is straightforward and consistent in design. It is unheard of for software to be largely unchanged and in widespread use after more than ten years. Helios got it right a long time ago, and has been incrementally and subtly refining the state of the art ever since.
skaemper

Post by skaemper »

Peter Wone wrote:It is unheard of for software to be largely unchanged and in widespread use after more than ten years. Helios got it right a long time ago, and has been incrementally and subtly refining the state of the art ever since.
Funny enough, this is what we (as users) really want:
Stable software, easily usable software, well crafted software.

That's especially true for software used by people who themselves develop software. After all, you won't like to change your Editor right in the middle of a project, right?
What I don't understand is this: Although software developers (and especially software craftsmen) appreciate this kind of software, they often do not deliver such systems.
Why? Any ideas anybody?

Stephan
"It's POLYMORPHIC!"
A former colleague
Peter Wone

Why do we build such crap?

Post by Peter Wone »

Why don't we build great software?
  • Nebulous specifications.
  • Mutable specifications.
  • Limited budgets.
  • Design by committee.
  • Limited (absurd) time-frames.
  • We don't really understand the problem domain.
The last item is key to understanding the success of Textpad. Programmers have a very clear and complete idea of what constitutes a good programmer's editor. We understand what is frippery and what is crucial, and we understand how the software will be used. This is what underpins the success of Linux as a server OS and is also the reason that it is rather less stellar as an OS for end users.